Why it failed to connect to the ftp using cmd?

C:\Users\test>ftp ftpupload.net
Connected to ftpupload.net.
220---------- Welcome to Pure-FTPd [privsep] [TLS] ----------
220-You are user number 568 of 3900 allowed.
220-Local time is now 00:08. Server port: 21.
220-This is a private system - No anonymous login
220 You will be disconnected after 60 seconds of inactivity.
200 OK, UTF-8 enabled
User (ftpupload.net:(none)): epiz_2985007
331 User epiz_2985007 OK. Password required
Password:
530 Login authentication failed
Login failed.

i got it working by using the ip instead but this may case problems in my case !!!

Did you check this article already?

https://infinityfree.net/support/i-cannot-connect-to-ftp/

Whether you used the IP address of the FTP server or a hostname which points to the FTP server doesn’t matter for FTP. But if you logged in to the control panel to check that IP, that is likely what activated your FTP access and you should be able to use the FTP hostname now as well.

no it still works using the ip only !! the ip of the Online File Manager !

and btw ftpupload.net have different ip than the Online File Manager : http://185.27.134.9
Pinging ftpupload.net [185.27.134.11] with 32 bytes of data:

I’m sorry, but I’m confused now.

When you said that it worked with the IP address, do you mean you were able to use the FTP command line with the IP address 185.27.134.11? Or do you mean you were able to access the web based file manager?

Because the file manager and the FTP server are on different servers with different IP addresses.

And if you can access your account with the file manager, that means the FTP server is working and is accepting your credentials.

In that case, please double check your username and password you use on the command line, because them being incorrect is the only explanation I can think of.

1 Like

"do you mean you were able to use the FTP command line with the IP address "
yes but with the file manager ip address 185.27.134.9

i have already did !!!

now i can’t connect to neither of them !!! the file manager ip address now gaves time out or :Connection refused
and the other Pure-FTPd
530 Login authentication failed

Which is normal, because the file manager IP address does not run an FTP server.

Please check it again, because I have no problems logging in with your credentials:

$ ftp ftpupload.net
Connected to ftpupload.net.
220---------- Welcome to Pure-FTPd [privsep] [TLS] ----------
220-You are user number 852 of 3900 allowed.
220-Local time is now 15:22. Server port: 21.
220-This is a private system - No anonymous login
220 You will be disconnected after 60 seconds of inactivity.
Name (ftpupload.net:XXX): epiz_23950076
331 User epiz_23950076 OK. Password required
Password:
230-Your bandwidth usage is restricted
230 OK. Current restricted directory is /
Remote system type is UNIX.
Using binary mode to transfer files.

Also, like the article described, make use your use your hosting account password which is NOT the same as your client area password.

what do you mean ?

i don’t know how but now it works :slight_smile: thanks

hi how can i upload files using ftp to here ?

Just upload the files on the htdocs folder with the “Upload” function to upload files that are not bigger than 2 MBs (PHP limitation on their FTP manager) or, with your credentials, download FileZilla, connect to the FTP with it and upload the files on the htdocs folder.

i mean upload files outside htdocs folder just for test
i got
553 Can’t open that file: Permission denied
when i tried that !!

There is a open_basedir restriction outside of the htdocs folder. You must upload the files inside the htdocs folder if you want to upload files, like the file “DO NOT UPLOAD FILES HERE” says. Please also note that this is a website hosting, so you must upload your website files on the htdocs folder, not outside of it.

so i can’t upload files outside it ?
“Please also note that this is a website hosting”
i know i am just doing a test !!

Yes, you can’t upload files outside it, just because of the open_basedir restriction I’ve talked before and because of the file “DO NOT UPLOAD FILES HERE”.

lol if deleted it will it work ?

You can delete it if you want, but you must NOT upload files outside of the htdocs folder.

must not or can not ?

You must not and cannot upload the files outside of the htdocs folder.

can i move the htdocs folder ?
so it becomes the default start folder ?
or is there a way to make the ftp connection start on htdocs folder as there is no point to make it start outside it while i can’t upload no files there !!
like without cd to the htdocs folder every time i connect !!