Wordpress 5.2.4 >> 5.3 update hangs

The URL concerned is http://hillbillies.epizy.com/wp-admin/update-core.php

The page is announcing: " An updated version of WordPress is available.
You can update to WordPress 5.3– en_GB automatically" and there is an “Update Now” button

I’m currently on Wordpress 5.2.4

I click the Update Now button. The response is extremely slow (minutes) and eventually gets to “downloading (the 5.3 .zip” then “Unpacking” then “cannot verify” and then the install just hangs, never gets anywhere, even after waiting 20 minutes.

When I quit, the site is still working, not in maintenance mode, and the update never proceeds.

thy this method

download wordpress 5.3.

remove the all the existing database and files

use softaculous installer to install 5.2

after that lnstallation done.located the ‘wp-includes’ and ‘wp-admin’ directories via ftp in your htc folder

delete the ‘wp-includes’ and ‘wp-admin’ directories

unzip your wordpress 5.3 locate ‘wp-includes’ and ‘wp-admin’ directories

upload them via ftp in the same directory where u previously deleted that two files

u will get version 5.3

Does this preserve the existing web site and plugins? I’m not an expert but I don’t see how that can be.

I think it doesn’t preserve those, as that method is only to have WordPress 5.3 on a fresh installation of WordPress installed through Softaculous. Use this guide to update WordPress the manual WordPress-recommended way instead if you want to preserve them.

2 Likes

well if you want to preserve the plugins and content do not delete the databases…just delete the wp included files and wp admins.

unzip your wordpress 5.3 locate ‘wp-includes’ and ‘wp-admin’ directories

upload them via ftp in the same directory where u previously deleted that two files

u will get version 5.3

Thanks. I think I’ll just wait until someone notices and fixes it, or the next update. I’m not happy doing this manually, not because I can’t but because I probably can, and know what can go wrong, especially if like me you don’t know WP structures.

1 Like

ok.so far i have tested my site the method above mothod work perfectly without any content lost…

I just updated manualy a few minutes ago. It works for me. Just make sure you follow the instructions in the word press guide linked above.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.