WordPress FTP Connection Problems

Over the last few days, I seem to be having a problem on my WordPress sites. What happens is when I try to install or update plugins/themes, I have to keep entering my FTP connection details. When I enter them and click Continue, it says that there was a problem creating the directories.

Does anyone know what may be causing this and how to fix this?

I know that InfinityFree’s servers were being migrated to another location, but that was said to take a week, which would’ve taken till around the end of last week.

@DisneyWorldMan said:
Over the last few days, I seem to be having a problem on my WordPress sites. What happens is when I try to install or update plugins/themes, I have to keep entering my FTP connection details. When I enter them and click Continue, it says that there was a problem creating the directories.

Does anyone know what may be causing this and how to fix this?

I know that InfinityFree’s servers were being migrated to another location, but that was said to take a week, which would’ve taken till around the end of last week.

Hi,
If they said it will be finished for a week does not really mean they can actually finished in that week.

I haven’t heard about the latest news about the on going migration so I don’t know wether they have finished it or not.

Where exactly do you need to enter your FTP details to install plugins or themes? Last time I checked, WordPress plugins and themes can be installed right from the WordPress admin area, which doesn’t use FTP to download and install the addons.

Also, to my knowledge, everything has been migrated. And the symptoms of the migration are that websites were rolled back or down entirely and only showed a 404 errors. Being unable to create specific directories does not sound like it’s caused by your website not being migrated yet.

@Admin said:
Where exactly do you need to enter your FTP details to install plugins or themes? Last time I checked, WordPress plugins and themes can be installed right from the WordPress admin area, which doesn’t use FTP to download and install the addons.

Also, to my knowledge, everything has been migrated. And the symptoms of the migration are that websites were rolled back or down entirely and only showed a 404 errors. Being unable to create specific directories does not sound like it’s caused by your website not being migrated yet.

When I inst> @Admin said:

For example, when I try to install/update plugins. I do install/update them in the admin panel. This error also happens when I try to upload items to my media library. I have some screenshots below:

Infinityfree server migration is causing issues all over. Please fix things up.
I installed wp and after that opened my admin panel to login to my wp dashboard and the page keep refreshing to same login page and I have tried out many tips on how to fix this from wpbeginner.com and codex.wp.com also from other websites and some said its from the localhost and should contact localhost server to fix it up also said from wp. Please guys fix up errors from your newly upgraded php and other sorts.
I beg of you.

@DisneyWorldMan said:

@Admin said:

For example, when I try to install/update plugins. I do install/update them in the admin panel. This error also happens when I try to upload items to my media library. I have some screenshots below:

I checked the account and it looks like you hit the inode limit. If you hit the inode limit, you cannot create or upload any new files or directories anymore. The limit is explained here: https://infinityfree.net/support/inode-limit/

@Godgift said:

This issue is not caused by the migration. Please don’t attribute every issue being experienced by anyone to the migration.

@Admin said:

@DisneyWorldMan said:

@Admin said:

I checked the account and it looks like you hit the inode limit. If you hit the inode limit, you cannot create or upload any new files or directories anymore. The limit is explained here: https://infinityfree.net/support/inode-limit/

@Godgift said:

This issue is not caused by the migration. Please don’t attribute every issue being experienced by anyone to the migration.

But I can’t access Softaculous to uninstall things to get under the limit. It seems that when I delete directories, it doesn’t affect much, but doing stuff in Softaculous works better. What is the best way to clear away some inodes?

@Admin said:

@DisneyWorldMan said:

@Admin said:

@Godgift said:

Okay then help out to resolve my case

@DisneyWorldMan said:

@Admin said:

@DisneyWorldMan said:

@Admin said:

@Godgift said:

But I can’t access Softaculous to uninstall things to get under the limit. It seems that when I delete directories, it doesn’t affect much, but doing stuff in Softaculous works better. What is the best way to clear away some inodes?

You can just delete the installation directory of any software you’re not using anymore through a file manager or FTP. That’s pretty much what Softaculous does as well. Softaculous also deletes the database, which you can do manually as well.

Note that the inode counter is not a live counter, it’s only sampled once in a while. So if you delete a bunch of files, the counter doesn’t go down immediately.

@Admin said:

@DisneyWorldMan said:

@Admin said:

@DisneyWorldMan said:

@Admin said:

@Godgift said:

You can just delete the installation directory of any software you’re not using anymore through a file manager or FTP. That’s pretty much what Softaculous does as well. Softaculous also deletes the database, which you can do manually as well.

Note that the inode counter is not a live counter, it’s only sampled once in a while. So if you delete a bunch of files, the counter doesn’t go down immediately.

But then why are there specific directories that give me this error:

“Unable to delete the subdirectory - it may not be empty”, yet those directories are empty.

@DisneyWorldMan said:

@Admin said:

@DisneyWorldMan said:

@Admin said:

@DisneyWorldMan said:

@Admin said:

@Godgift said:

“Unable to delete the subdirectory - it may not be empty”, yet those directories are empty.

Can you please tell me which software you’re using to delete the directories and which directories you are trying to delete?

@Admin said:

@DisneyWorldMan said:

@Admin said:

@DisneyWorldMan said:

@Admin said:

@DisneyWorldMan said:

@Admin said:

@Godgift said:

Can you please tell me which software you’re using to delete the directories and which directories you are trying to delete?

The regular file manager that is in cPanel. I try to delete the leftover sub-domain folders that I no longer use to clear up some inodes, but they won’t delete. I get that same error.

The following errors were found :
The MySQL Connection could not be established.
The MySQL Connection could not be established.

Trying to install wp and there is a error message, what am I doing wrong?

@DisneyWorldMan said:

@Admin said:

@DisneyWorldMan said:

@Admin said:

@DisneyWorldMan said:

@Admin said:

@DisneyWorldMan said:

@Admin said:

@Godgift said:

The regular file manager that is in cPanel. I try to delete the leftover sub-domain folders that I no longer use to clear up some inodes, but they won’t delete. I get that same error.

Can you please list the specific directories you want to delete? I would like to try and delete them myself to see if I can figure out what’s going wrong. And I can try to guess which directories you want to delete, but I don’t want to guess wrong and delete something important.

Every directory besides esbnonline.ml, esbnonline.ga, and htdocs. These directories will show up as soon as you load up the file manager. All the sub domain directories I want deleted.

What’s going on? My website doesn’t show up anything at all not even admin login. Clickearner.rf.gd

@DisneyWorldMan said:
Every directory besides esbnonline.ml, esbnonline.ga, and htdocs. These directories will show up as soon as you load up the file manager. All the sub domain directories I want deleted.

In the past, domain directories were used to store log files of the domain as well. Since log files are protected against editing, the folders had to be protected from editing as well. Because of that, it was not possible to delete domain directories, even if the related domain was already removed.

At the start of this year, this was changed so new directories would be created with permissions which allow you to delete the directories yourself.

But old directories still have the old permissions, which means they cannot be deleted. Sadly, there is no way around this, so you will just have to look past them yourself (or move the websites still on there to a fresh account).

@Godgift said:
What’s going on? My website doesn’t show up anything at all not even admin login. Clickearner.rf.gd

Please check the topic which is actually about the issue, rather than hijacking the first topic you see: https://forum.infinityfree.com/discussion/4945/connection-timed-out-on-websites