10000 forum users celebration - special event

i’ll update it if it approve

It either gets approved at its current state, or it does not get approved. You cannot do “I’ll finish it later” guides.

If you want, you can make your changes and re-submit it, and I can remove the current one from the quene.

2 Likes

can you send me the current versin?

Done.

Do note that it is your responsibility to have a backup of your guide. Our job does not include giving it to you, and it is written in the rules for writing community guides.

3 Likes

alright

What is this?
A phone call channel lineup?
Download or play this audio file:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Okb9O62RXyr0ZivOpCheLZrwXKRXI4ko/view?usp=sharing
Update: The phone number is +1 (415) 639-9293. Info I got is “(415) 639-9293 is a voip number serviced by Twilio - SMS/MMS-SVR.”

I think only @Admin can do that.

I was actually not even aware that such a setting exsisted

3 Likes

What about the phone call channel lineup thing posted above

1 Like

:rofl:

I find it funny to think that you only consider hacking the webserver to be illegal.

Also:

It was 0 bytes free later today, and likely 1GB free before I turned it on just now.

WHAT THE HECK IS GOING ON?!

Not ryzen tracking (it used to take a crap ton of space, but still only like 14 GB, although that was all that was available at the time), as I have that turned off. Eh, I bet that it is windows telemetry :confused:

Both are illegal. I just see one as a higher crime.

Everyone :heart: Windows!

3 Likes

This is subjective

2 Likes

if a big update is waiting for installation, it is easy to run out of space

because first it downloads 5GB (image)

then unpacks it all, that’s already 10GB

and then leave it after installation in case something went wrong
windows.old file (packaged all program files, docs, and everything from the previous version of windows = cca min 30GB)

now add to that that you have some games
which have their own temp files e.g. shaders (rendered), etc…

visual studio ? also for each project there are heaps of files

some program freezes like a game and leaves you with a DUMP file
which can be several GB large (for debugging purposes)

virtual memory ? by default windows determines the size of that file
if the need arises, then that “fille” grows a lot

many programs you install and then you don’t like them so you uninstall them (games too)
they leave behind some files (some more, some less)
means that the more you try programs or games on the OS, the more it is cluttered with unnecessary things

You should definitely do

right click on partition/Properties

new window

choose what you want (I choose everything)
there you will find a bunch of win update files that you no longer need (4 or more GB)

settings

for other things like see the TEMP folder inside local/temp

I won’t mention it (which can also be huge) because it depends on someone’s knowledge, so if you don’t know what you’re doing, it’s better not to touch it

this can also be deleted (if there are no updates waiting to be executed), so be careful
because even that folder can be several tens of GB

5 Likes

Thats a much better explanation :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I forgot to mention this folder (which is very important)

Win keeps older versions of win files (various system components, drivers, etc.) in case you need to roll back to an older version of Windows

of course, if you don’t need it and your OS works perfectly fine on the latest version (which was upgraded through an update)

then in powershell or cmd (as admin) run this command first

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /AnalyzeComponentStore

when it finishes, it will tell you what cleaning is needed and how much unnecessary stuff was found

and if it suggests cleaning
then run this command

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup

and when it finishes, it will start moving unnecessarily files during the restart

and with that you got a few GB also.

as you can see the word online in the command means that you need to have an internet connection so that it can talk to the MS server and compare files (hashes).

5 Likes

Jokes on me, I already checked windows update.

I was wondering how the update process works. It makes sense that it is compressed (as is quite a lot of things downloaded over the internet these days). It’s even more funny because sometimes it becomes ready to update while I’m offline.

Just curious, where do you learn all of your tactics? Because I can’t find many resources online.

I do know I should install one of those programs that visually lays out the disk space used up by different programs, instead of going to the individual folders that a program uses (sometimes multiple folders across different locations).

Yep! Can’t find any of those files, though.

16 GB of ram, which I almost never use up. Heck, I don’t even know why my paging file will grow. Windows thinks that the disk will be better sometimes, for some reason I guess. :confused:

I think the big thing is likely that Dell SupportAssist backs up all of my files on a separate partition (including videos and documents which I have moved over to my bigger drive for reasons of needing more space). By default, that is on the system drive, and it would be so much work to move it.

5 Likes

I’m going back to the cities next week. It’s been fun over the summer, being out in the country.

There’s something you can’t get when playing a game or looking at a picture.

They say a picture is a thousand words, but…

Being there is indescribable.

To me, there is something that really makes me love the endless fields of corn and soybeans.

Maybe, it’s just that my grandpa has been a farmer. Maybe it’s just the tractors and machinery.

I just love farming. Living out in the country is beautiful and peaceful.

It’s just something I love.

Why wouldn’t I? It’s beautiful!

Those were all the pictures I took this summer. Number 1 is near our farmhouse. Number 2 is on the highway to our farmhouse (from the small town east of us) and number 3 is going to South Dakota from Minnesota (we were travelling to Madison, SD to see our house which was built there).

Oh and here are the kittens I took pics of today.

Farm cats are the cutest!

(Different one from the former)

And lastly, I learned from my family down here. Their faith has pushed mine further. For the Lord is almighty, and I have really learned from my cousins here how to live like Jesus.

One sermon I would like you to at least try (if you want) is this one:

Yes, I was there (in the back row). It was amazing, and powerful.

The sermon begins at 30 minutes in, but I do really recommend at least hearing some of the worship. That man is amazing and powerful in his singing.

His name is Victor.

The pastor’s name is Don. He’s been through so much pain.

He has knee problems.

The doctor asked why he even tries to get better, and he replied “I want to dance like that man in our church.”

(Well, not the actual quote. I’m paraphrasing here because I forget exactly what he said and what the doctor asked him).

He is just an amazing pastor, and pushes through to teach us about our Father above.

Wonderful man.

And so, I’ve learned a lot this summer.

From learning how to farm (asking my grandpa questions, anyways. There isn’t much farming to do as much as there is waiting in the summer), to becoming more of a man, to getting closer to Christ.

God bless, and I hope you have all enjoyed your summers as well!

4 Likes

the process I described applies when, for example, you switch from win7 to win10
then during the installation win asks you if you want to keep all program files, docs,etc., or you want to do a clean installation

if you choose the first one then the new win packages the old existing ones so you can go back to the old ones if something goes wrong with these new ones.

after 30 days I think that windows.old deletes itself
but it often remains, and people use the new OS for years without looking at what they have on the system file partition.

with ordinary updates it is simpler…
win talks to its server and gives its information
version, etc.

the server then says ok i have an update for you

your OS downloads that package

the package is unpacked and run
and that package then completes its task
and is waiting for a restart so that it could run over the existing files, which it can’t because they are currently in use by the OS…
if everything goes well and without errors after rebooting the system
that status that everything succeeded is recorded
and then the resources used to install that update are deleted after some time.

The only problem is if you need free disk space immediately
and you can’t wait for win to decide what to delete and when.

so then you go for manual cleaning

My first wins were win95 for a short time and then win98 and so on

nobody had a huge HDD before nor was the OS smart enough to clean itself
and you simply had to get into the habit of cleaning

not only cleaning, but also many other actions and commands, so it all simply remains as some kind of knowledge

today, when your disk is several terabytes, no one takes care and cleans it after uninstalling a program, etc.

I have only listed a few actions, but there are many deeper ones that I do not mention because you have to know your OS

I can’t just suggest that something be deleted
because everything works fine for me after that, but it may be a different story for you.

often the folder is called DUMP

it knows to appear in various places

C:\ProgramData

C:\Users\YourUserName (or env.variable = %HOMEPATH% <-paste as address in explorer)

%LOCALAPPDATA%

%APPDATA%

and in those same places you can find the remains of programs that you used and uninstalled a long time ago, but the remains were left behind

as well as of course in program files or x86 bit version folders

run this command systeminfo in terminal

so it will print how much virtual mem. you currently have

I adjust each program to my taste

means
if I have a video editing program

in its settings I say your temp folder is “F:/temp/”
and take it somewhere beyond the system partition

save finished projects “again outside of win partition”

why is it important because for example you are processing a video
and it freezes or crashes because of some third plugin for some effect, etc.
all those files used by the program remain on the disk and are not deleted…
So there you find a bunch of temporarily rendered parts of that video
as well as cache video files and everything else, which of course, if it is full hd or 4k or more, can be several GB in size

this way you know exactly where they are and can delete them manually

5 Likes

Hi everyone!
This topic is going on forever! I hope everyone is doing well!

I was just wondering if anyone here still uses arc.io and is getting paid? It doesn’t seem to work all the time in my case so I wanted to know if anyone else experiences similar issues?

6 Likes

Welcome back, @XInterverse !!!

Me!!

See this?

6 Likes