20000 forum users - Awesome Special Event!

Congratulations on the 20k members! :tada:

Better late than never!

5 Likes

WB, @XInterverse !

5 Likes

No, I’m not dead (not like any of you thought that, though).

I’m just working extensively on programming for a school project (Conway’s game of life).

I added a little twist to it by giving it color (based on the neighbor concentration).

I’m currently banging my head on an evolutionary system to find good patterns, too.

Music will resume in a little. I’ve pondered a lot about music, too. As it turns out, forcing yourself to work an hour or so a day on something even when you don’t feel like doing it isn’t the best idea, or at least relying solely on that for learning.

In the meantime, have a good song I found
(Oh how I love speedcore)

2 Likes

“And the one who is in the stone age died a long time ago?
I’m asking this because it’s a little strange to me that they have psi-link, and one side of “the phone” is dead - if we assume that it was 4.5k years ago.”

It’s a time-travel link - depends on a block universe, which I don’t believe in, plus an ability for the future to affect the past, which is also impossible, but time travel is fun in fiction. Both boys have a sleep disorder which means they’re only awake for around 12 hours a day, and in their dreams they become each other. In terms of the soul then, there is only one of them, so they are the same boy. Lots of other complex stuff going on which I won’t reveal yet.

“Or are they both alive but somehow communicating through time?
if they communicate; that would then disrupt the space-time continuum
and this one from the present would have to be extra careful in what he “says” to the one in the stone age so as not to change history/future.”

Time travel’s impossible in nature other than moving forwards through time at the constant rate we’re all going at right now. You can slow your functionality down by moving at relativistic speed (or going deep into a gravity well where the speed of light is lower), and that could be used to get thousands of years into the far future without dying of old age before you get to the time you want to reach, but travelling backwards in time introduces circular causation.

Imagine a case where you have a box with no key. A time machine materialises beside you and your future self reaches out of it to hand you a key. You can now open the box. Years later you find a time machine and you use it to take that key back to your earlier self to open the box. Now think about how the key was created, and think too about how it is exposed to infinite wear without eroding away. All kinds of backward time travel break in ways similar to that, but we don’t want to think about that when reading fiction as it would spoil it.

Any kind of universe that lets you go back in time to change the past cannot be changing the past, but is either taking you into a parallel universe that’s followed the same pattern of events up to that point but which will now diverge, or it’s a block universe with Newtonian time added to it to allow you to change the history of events at spacetime locations where they would ordinarily be fixed. That could lead to alternating changes where you go back in time to kill your great grandfather when he was a child, but you could then travel back to your future and continue on as if there wasn’t a problem. The pattern in the block universe would unravel behind you though and destroy past versions, and when it destroys the point where you went back in time to kill your grandfather, that would no longer happen, so the pattern in the block would unravel again, this time bringing you back into being and leading to a repeat of that erasing and rebuilding of your past, and yet because you’ve returned to the future, you’re beyond the time in the block where all that undoing and redoing is taking place, so you can just carry on as if your great grandfather was never killed. The problem with this block universe idea though is that there would need to be an infinite number of different things conscious of being you, with each locked to its own time or running forwards through time in the same way we do, but all spread out at different places through time.

“Although they probably communicate with mental images and emotions, and not with language, because those from the Stone Age do not have a developed language
and if this modern person said banana or sent him a picture of a banana, the person from the Stone Age would not know what it is.”

They had sophisticated language 100,000 years ago, and likely for a million years or more. Homo erectus likely had language, but may not have been able to handle the same complexity as we do, but this was fixed by the brain growing larger in modern humans, neanderthals and denisovans. The Stone Age boy speaks Pictish (similar to Welsh) and a pre-Pictish language that may have been most closely related to Basque. In his dreams, he understands and speaks English because he becomes the modern boy.

“|I mean I understand what artistic freedom is :joy: or SF
I’m just wondering how you solved it and what if someone from the criticism asks you such a question?
Don’t answer if it will reveal a lot about your book!”

There is no solution once you start breaking down what time is and how it works: all time travel stories fall to pieces. When reading the story, we don’t need to worry about how it works, but just take it that it does. By the way, I should have made it clear that they live 4500 years plus or minus 12 hours apart in time, so they are up primarily during daylight hours, although the Stone Age boy does stay up a lot at night observing the moon. My original idea was to have a story without time travel and to link a boy in Britain with one in New Zealand, but I couldn’t find a way to make that interesting enough.

3 Likes

Now I am even more interested :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I’ll be looking for “beta readers” at some point to provide feedback before it’s published so that they can comment on whether it works (for them) and where it might need improvement, so if you want to be involved in that you’ll be welcome, and with no obligation to read or comment on any of it if it doesn’t hook you in. A few writers have read a substantial part of it already and they’ve been making all the right noises, so the signs are good, but they haven’t seen the really big action yet, and that’s the part I can’t discuss yet. They may not like it when they do. It probably takes the darkest turn in children’s literature, and it’s possible that very few children will be allowed to read it.

4 Likes

From what I have heard so far, I would love to! Sci-Fi, future/history combo is the type of books that I have been into these past few years.

Interesting 

Do let me know if you want an email address, discord or something :slight_smile:

3 Likes

@linguist - thank you for taking the time to write such a comprehensive answer

Even if material time travel is not possible
I think in your case information travels (their communication)

One of my favorite books is “The Holographic Universe” by Michael Talbot

where, among other things, the concept of DĂ©jĂ  vu was discussed
and states that there is a pool of information (constant) that each of us can access, whether through deep meditation or when we have a feeling that something has already happened, etc.
And probably everything in that book would help you tie things together (and for all those who are interested in quantum physics) - that’s why I mentioned it.
Mostly the book is good for thinking, especially the first two chapters, and the third concerns the connection between the disease and the mind, treatment, etc.

5 Likes

Thanks, Greenreader9. I’ve sent you a message with a text file attached to it containing the first three chapters. That’ll let you see if it’s really the kind of book you want to read. (If it isn’t, please say so: writers need to be told the truth about their work and not what you think they want to hear.)

3 Likes

That’s something I ought to read up on, although I think the universe is a lot simpler than that and doesn’t need such an exotic resolution. People get tied up in all sorts of unnecessary knots by pandering to Einstein’s mathematically broken theories of relativity instead of just throwing them out and accepting Lorentz Ether Theory (LET). Quantum theory wants information to hang about at the event horizon of a black hole, which is actually fully compatible with LET and string theory which have the speed of light fall to zero at the event horizon [light slows in gravity wells in line with √(1 - 2GM/r)], which means that everything stops there instead of falling in towards any imagined singularity.

DĂ©jĂ  vu is likely just something that happens when data is written to the brain and is then found independently by a search routine which mistakes it as older than current events, so it flags it up as a repeating event.

I sounds interesting, but it’s overkill for this: what I have is just ordinary time travel, but for consciousness alone without dragging the body along for the ride. I’ll certainly add that book to my reading list though as it’s something I ought to know more about.

5 Likes

You need less than 20 hours to read the book and it’s easy to find a pdf online (free)
like for example click here :slight_smile:

In the beginning, it can be tiring for someone because a lot of concepts have to be processed so that it will be clearer to people later, but it’s interesting when he starts writing about Bohm and the rest.
So whoever hasn’t read it please read it (or try to find it in your language).

3 Likes

Thanks. As a writer, I can’t possibly download a free copy that isn’t supposed to be available, but I have clicked on the link to take a quick look to assess it properly just as I would do if I saw it in a book shop. If I decide to read the whole thing, I will certainly buy it: at £9 it’s quite affordable on paper (although the ebook’s a rip-off at £8).

3 Likes

my link is the first result of a search with the term “the holographic universe pdf”
so I thought it was shorter to put a link than to write “search Google with
”.

:roll_eyes:

Screenshot 2023-05-24 010711

:clapper: https://twitter.com/NatalkaKyiv/status/1661144879450161158

3 Likes

Well, there’s quite a lot of interesting stuff in there mixed in with the pseudoscience, but it’s overkill for justifying time travel in a novel and I’d have to check a lot of the sources to know what’s accurate and what’s had the truth simplified out of it. I’ll look at it again in the future, but at the moment I’m racing against the clock to try to get enough money in to sort out a health problem before it kills me. The health service in Britain has collapsed to the point that I can’t get access to the anticoagulant I need, so I’m consuming vast amounts of nattokinase instead and have had a blood clot hit my lungs once a month on average over the last year and a half. So, I need to focus on getting this book finished and then hope it’s a big hit.

1 Like

The link is from Internet Archive, which usually stores book that belong in the public domain, and as such are meant to be freely available. That being said, if you wish to buy it to show your support, that’s perfectly fine!

2 Likes

I’m sorry about your condition

The book I recommended would be good for you also because you can heal yourself
 (when some parts are read) it is enough to just believe and actually think as little as possible about the disease. The book mentions a lot of things, but that’s why it’s good for me because it changes your outlook on life and opens up some insights into what’s going on in the background. It is best when you make your own truth from all the information you gather. in short, have an open mind.

3 Likes

I’d be surprised if it’s available for free legally, but it is over 30 years old and won’t be selling many copies now, so maybe publishers don’t bother to make a fuss beyond a certain point. It might cost more to do so than to ignore it.

2 Likes

Having a positive attitude certainly helps fight illness, but no amount of positive thinking can replace essential medication, and it can be a dangerous distraction when relied on over hard science, as Steve Jobs learned too late. I had to trawl through a lot of quackery to find out how to survive, and I systematically tested many of the things touted as strong natural anticoagulants. Some (e.g. gingko) had no effect whatsoever even with a huge dosage. Nattokinase won out by a mile (by breaking down blood clots in addition to helping prevent them forming), but curcumin and coumarin help a bit. Proper scientific studies confirm the findings of my own testing.

4 Likes

Operation “Start a New Project Before Finishing Your Previous 5” or (SANPBFYP5) has commenced!

5 Likes

Q: Why do you use Cloudflare ZeroTrust?

A: Because I am too lazy to make a login page with OTP

3 Likes