Account suspension policy

I did hear rumors about it, but then it happened to me a few days ago. I hope I could get some light on this topic. I have two hosting accounts here for quite some time. Occasionally, I use the third for various temporary purposes. This time, your “system” detected abuse on the third one, and suspended ALL of my three hosting accounts at once!

When I submitted the support ticket, I got them all back in a relatively short time with an apology that the “system” made a mistake. I said ok, and continued my work, and then it happened again! The same apology followed, accounts are back.

By pure chance, I found three .js files that (when uploaded through ftp) were causing the system to trigger abuse. All three were well-known 3rd party .js libraries, one of them being pdf.worker.js.

The guy (was it admin or someone else!?) on the support ticket was not very interested in investigating the cause, he only stated that “they cannot predict the way the system will work in advance”.

Ok, you can say “what do you expect from free hosting”, and I would have my thoughts on that, but here I’ll stay short - “I expect it to work”. The main question is “what do YOU expect from your users” to do in such situations?

The conclusion is that your “system” makes bad decisions in unpredictable ways and when it happens it suspends ALL your hosting accounts - as a side effect, your unrelated work gets punished too! This could not be an official policy on your site, or is it?

First of all, I don’t know what that thing is, but PDFs are a no-no here.

It was someone else, these guys are from iFastNet, our sponsor.

It is possible that the system went crazy these days as sometimes in the past it acted like that — when that happen, well, we don’t control the “system”, iFastNet controls it, and the only thing we (including Admin) can do is to report it to iFastNet and hope it got fixed.

That is to say, ToS still applies, and I remembered that there’s a line talking about how the system will suspend all of your accounts in severe abuse, as well as how PDFs aren’t allowed here.

5 Likes

The files you upload to your site are automatically scanned to identify abusive content and code. But as with any scan (automated or otherwise), there is the risk of false positives and false negatives.

Depending on the nature of the abusive content identified, it may indeed trigger the suspension of all your hosting accounts. Some content is just so malicious that we don’t want to host anything for you ever again.

We are aware that sometimes legitimate scripts and libraries trigger suspensions. However, due to the way the scans work, it’s very hard to teach it to apply certain rules but skip other files. We know it’s a problem, but it’s very difficult to fix.

So in the mean time, all we can do is to ask you to not host the content with us that you know will trigger suspensions. Even if the content is technically not against the rules.

7 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.