Can't access subdomain folder

I’ve registered an account here with rf.gd ending, and created an vm. subdomain for it to handle files (mostly pictures and media elements) more easily for later. The problem is, when I’m trying to get the subdomain’s files with PHP it throws an error that the folder is not allowed to operate with.

Warning: file_exists(): open_basedir restriction in effect. File(ROOT/vm.kmartinr4.rf.gd/htdocs/) is not within the allowed path(s): (ROOT/htdocs) in /ROOT/htdocs/style.css.php on line 292

Can I enable it somewhere to be able to operate in the subdomains’ htdocs folder? I can access to the site with the subdomain, and the files via the URL’s, but I need to be able to read/write them from the main site.

Hello @KMartinR4.

We do not allow file hosting on our free hosting.

You are fine to upload few images as thumbnail ones and other in that kind of style, but ‘other media elements’ such as videos and audio files should be stored externally on other hosting that is created for such purposes.

From what I can tell it seems like there is some sort of restriction on server’s or configuration’s side. But I am not an administrator so I do not know very much about the system of our hosting.

@Admin could know what is the problem.

Mike

It’s very simple: scripts from one domain cannot access the content on another domain, even on the same account. Assets which are a part of your website (css/js/images) can either be uploaded to the same domain name as your website or can be uploaded manually to the subdomain using FTP.

However, like @bbot22 said, it should be noted that using our hosting for an image or media uploading and sharing service is not allowed.

I’m not planning to do that, I read the Terms of Use.
So even if it’s on the same FTP account I can’t access to the subdomain contents? Which is basically just another folder on the account? @Admin

So even if it’s on the same FTP account I can’t access to the subdomain contents? Which is basically just another folder on the account? @Admin

Simply put: yes.

That said, it’s not just another folder, it’s actually supposed to be a separate website. All websites can only access the files of their domain so if one website would have a security problem, your other websites are safe.