Ftp filezilla | connection closed by server

My website URL is:
031vinemedia.co.za

What I’m seeing is:
Connection closed by server

I’m using this software:
Filezilla

Additional information:
I recently started using FTP’s for space issue and now I’m having a problem of uploading images via FileZilla, After ll images are loaded it then says Connection Close by the server.

Why am I not being answered, all the similar threads or topic created related to this are irrelevant to my experience, they don’t even come close to resolve my concerns.

You’re not being answered because you assume you’ll get an answer in 12 hours. But please keep in mind that this is a community support forum for a free hosting service. If you require 24/7 support, please consider getting premium hosting instead.

“Connection closed by server” is not really an error. Our server has inactivity timeouts which kill the connection if you don’t do anything. However, that should not interfere with transfers already in progress.

Can you please tell more about what you’re actually seeing? What do the transfers seem to do before they are failing?

3 Likes

HI Admin, My apologies, I’m really sorry.

I will just paste the whole results of how it goes below. This happens when I transfer files.

Status: Connection established, waiting for welcome message…
Status: Plain FTP is insecure. Please switch to FTP over TLS.
Status: Retrieving directory listing of “/031vinemedia.co.za”…
Status: Directory listing of “/031vinemedia.co.za” successful
Status: Retrieving directory listing of “/031vinemedia.co.za/htdocs”…
Status: Directory listing of “/031vinemedia.co.za/htdocs” successful
Status: Retrieving directory listing of “/031vinemedia.co.za/htdocs/wp-content”…
Status: Directory listing of “/031vinemedia.co.za/htdocs/wp-content” successful
Status: Retrieving directory listing of “/031vinemedia.co.za/htdocs/wp-content/uploads”…
Status: Directory listing of “/031vinemedia.co.za/htdocs/wp-content/uploads” successful
Status: Retrieving directory listing of “/031vinemedia.co.za/htdocs/wp-content/uploads/2019”…
Status: Directory listing of “/031vinemedia.co.za/htdocs/wp-content/uploads/2019” successful
Status: Retrieving directory listing of “/031vinemedia.co.za/htdocs/wp-content/uploads/2019/01”…
Status: Directory listing of “/031vinemedia.co.za/htdocs/wp-content/uploads/2019/01” successful
Status: Starting upload of D:\MY NEW JORNEY\WEBSITE\PHOTOGRAPHY FOLDER\SBEACHDAWN.png
Status: File transfer successful, transferred 25,517,499 bytes in 38 seconds
Status: Starting upload of D:\MY NEW JORNEY\WEBSITE\PHOTOGRAPHY FOLDER\SUNCOAST.png
Status: File transfer successful, transferred 36,131,332 bytes in 53 seconds
Status: Retrieving directory listing of “/031vinemedia.co.za/htdocs/wp-content/uploads/2019/01”…
Status: Directory listing of “/031vinemedia.co.za/htdocs/wp-content/uploads/2019/01” successful
Status: Starting upload of D:\MY NEW JORNEY\WEBSITE\PHOTOGRAPHY FOLDER\MOYONIGHT.png
Status: File transfer successful, transferred 35,913,882 bytes in 69 seconds
Status: Starting upload of D:\MY NEW JORNEY\WEBSITE\PHOTOGRAPHY FOLDER\MOYOPIA.png
Status: File transfer successful, transferred 33,540,002 bytes in 68 seconds
Status: Starting upload of D:\MY NEW JORNEY\WEBSITE\PHOTOGRAPHY FOLDER\ORDINARYSHOT.png
Status: File transfer successful, transferred 19,952,389 bytes in 40 seconds
Status: Starting upload of D:\MY NEW JORNEY\WEBSITE\PHOTOGRAPHY FOLDER\PRODUCT PROCESS.png
Status: File transfer successful, transferred 33,065,209 bytes in 108 seconds
Status: Starting upload of D:\MY NEW JORNEY\WEBSITE\PHOTOGRAPHY FOLDER\PRODUCT SCALE.png
Status: File transfer successful, transferred 30,705,282 bytes in 49 seconds
Status: Starting upload of D:\MY NEW JORNEY\WEBSITE\PHOTOGRAPHY FOLDER\SBEACHDAWN.png
Status: File transfer successful, transferred 25,517,499 bytes in 20 seconds

Thank you.

I’m looking at the output, and I don’t think the “Connection closed by server” is the issue. In the logs, I can see you’re uploading various images ranging from 20-40 MB in size. However, there is a file size limit of 10 MB on free hosting, and all files larger than that are discarded by the server.

If you want to display photos on your website, I highly recommend to downscale and/or compress them. That’s both for the file size limits, but also because smaller images will load much faster and use less bandwidth of your visitors.

3 Likes

Thank you admin.
Sorry to ask this here, I have compressed my images earlier to be below 10M but somehow as soon as they finish uploading it says Fatal error : Maximum execution time of 20 seconds exceeded in /home/vol7_2/epizy.com/epiz_23203517/031vinemedia.co.za/htdocs/wp-includes/class-wp-image-editor-gd.php on line 189

How can I fix this issue?

Thank you.

It also depends in your internet connection speed. if it keep uploading for over 20 seconds, this error will display!

2 Likes

Do you get that error when uploading a single image or when uploading them in bulk? Because if you’re bulk uploading the images, you may want to try smaller batches until you don’t get this error anymore.

If the batch takes more than 20 seconds to process, it will be killed.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.