Http error 500

There was a wordpres update ( 4.1 ), I clicked on update now and the site went down instantly, First it showed down for maintance and now it is showing HTTP ERROR 500. Please help, I don’t have any backup for site.

1 Like

You need to enable PHP Display Errors. Go to your File Manager, in wp-config.php find define('WP_DEBUG', false) and change it to define('WP_DEBUG', true), then enable PHP Display Errors in your Control Panel. If you experience problems reinstall via Softaculous the last version of WordPress (that is at the time of writing WordPress 5.2.0).

1 Like

This might mean the WordPress update failed and left your website in a broken state where some of the files are the old version and some of them are the new version.

You can enable debug mode, like @Ergastolator1 to figure out what the issue is. But if it says anything like a require or include failed because of missing files, then this is probably the way you can fix it:

https://infinityfree.net/support/how-to-fix-a-corrupted-wordpress-installation/

How freaking ironic! A few hours ago I was in process of verifying ownership of my site via the Yoast wp plugin on the google search console (which didn’t verify for some reason) for the SEO optimization thing. Then when I tried to log back into my wp dashboard it said I was already logged in but I wasn’t! THEN when I entered my url in the search browser I got the “This site can’t be reached” error page. I tried to get through to WP support but in order to submit the submission form requires either the 2FA which I don’t have, or the confirmation link sent in the initial email wp gave you when you first signed up which I don’t have, or payment proof from any wp premium upgrade/purchase you did which I don’t have either. So now I can’t log into my dboard because wp says I’m already logged in, for some reason my site is down, AND I can’t advise wp support of the situation because I do not have at least 1 of the 3 credentials to input on the submission form. WOW!

Wew I also had Yoast seo though the problem for me is WordPress Update

1 Like

If it says unexpected ‘if’ (T_IF), that means the code on the line itself is fine, but the code above it has not been properly terminated. Can you check if there is anything odd on the lines above (like a missing semi colon, a badly quoted string or missing bracket).

If you want, I can also check it for you, but then I do need to know which website on which account is having this problem.

To my knowledge, this is a different issue. After all, a “this site can’t be reached” and “HTTP ERROR 500” error message are not the same, and different error messages generally means different root causes and solutions as well.

So can you please submit a new topic to the hosting support category with your question? Please be sure to fill in the topic template so we can help you effectively.

To my knowledge, the WordPress support is only for people who get managed WordPress on wordpress.com, not the people who use the free software from wordpress.org. Wordpress.org is only supported through the WordPress forums, as far as I know.

Ok Thanks for the info and you guys keep up the good work!

Your account was suspended because you hit the Entry Process Limits . Learn more about the Entry Process limit.

Your account will be reactivated automatically in 18 hours from now.

Well the website is still down and now got suspended
epiz_23618526 < account

I gave the username and website is no more suspended but still same error :
Parse error : syntax error, unexpected ‘if’ (T_IF) in /home/vol9_5/epizy.com/epiz_23618526/htdocs/wp-config.php on line 86

If you want I can send the whole wp-config file Pastebin link or paste it here or email it to you

No one is replying to you because you are asking the same question over and over again and don’t seem to do anything with the answers people give you.

There are plenty of people here who are trying to help you. But if you ignore that help and keep repeating yourself hoping that the issue will fix it itself if you just keep bumping the topic enough, I have bad news for you.

I enabled debug, I gave you the username but everyone just stopped responding

Please note my previous response:

If it says unexpected ‘if’ (T_IF) , that means the code on the line itself is fine, but the code above it has not been properly terminated. Can you check if there is anything odd on the lines above (like a missing semi colon, a badly quoted string or missing bracket).

I did ask afterwards which account you experienced the problem on, which was not smart of me, because the username is right there in the error message.

Checking the wp-config.php on your account, I see line 81-82 with these contents:

*/
define('WP_DEBUG', true)
/* That's all, stop editing! Happy publishing. */

The line in the middle doesn’t have a semi colon at the end. If you add the semi colon there, the file should parse.

1 Like