Inodes

I have several questions

1. What is inodes?
  2. On what does I inodes getting used?

From this article:

https://infinityfree.net/support/inode-limit/

In Unix-like systems, like Linux and macOS, there is the concept of inodes. Every file and directory on a file system has an inode, containing details like permissions and last modification time. A file system has a limited number of inodes it can contain. Additionally, the more inodes are on the system, the longer it takes to look up files, meaning the disk will be slower.

In your hosting account, the inode counter shows the number of files and directories in your website. These are only the files and directories accessible through FTP and the file manager, databases and emails are not counted towards the inode limit.

I didn’t understand well that question, so if you meant “How do I check which INODEs I used?” you can find that on the Control Panel statistics.

1 Like

Mhm, then am I able to reduce that inodes number?

No, It’d be unfair to other accounts since that’s same for everyone. Though 30019 inodes are too much :slight_smile:

I can get 30000 inodes in one click
Softaclous - humhub - 50000 inodes guaranteed

hmm but I think I saw that u can reduce that amount on knowledge base lemme re-check it

Yeah i misunderstood meaning of reduce.

Interesting, How?
I’ve my own site script that’s currently using around 1047 inodes, So the thing you said isn’t really possible, Unless a dark shadow does that.

2 Likes

@Ergastolator1 does the inode limit increases if I EDIT a file?

No, it doesn’t. It does only if you create files and folders (or install a CMS like WordPress or Joomla and so on on your websites).

2 Likes

Yes, even uploading files or folders over images count as inodes.

1 Like

Thank you for the help. Now I understand everything about the inodes (as I edit files a lot I thought I used 14% of inodes of editing [also realized I have phpBB script lol])

1 Like

I have another question lol so basicly - my html editor covers(deletes old file AND UPLOADS the new edit. Question: does this counts as inode?

Well, that alters inode usage but it won’t add to inodes.
Deletes old file → -1
Creates New edited file → +1

1 Like

The number of inodes in your account is the number of files and directories. If you create or upload files, the number of inodes increases. If you delete files, the number of inodes decreases. Viewing, editing, renaming or moving files does not affect the inode count.

1 Like

If I upgraded my plan from free to Premium
is that mean number of inodes decreases

Fortunately, no. Again, the number of inodes is the number of files and directories in your account. If the number of inodes decreased after upgrading, then it means some of your files have disappeared. So if everything goes well, the number of inodes should stay more or less the same.

However, the maximum number of inodes on premium hosting is much higher than on free hosting. So if you want to upload more files without deleting anything off of your account now, upgrading to premium hosting will let your account grow.

2 Likes

This post tells about usage of the inodes (:point_down:)

This post tells what is inodes (:point_down:)

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.