Not another redirect post

1- I have my own domain name with .net on the end. Example; www.fred.bloggs.net
2- I have been using this for several years with my website pointing to my virgin account webspace area, until Virgin decided to pull the plug on this freebie.
3- My domain registration company “1&1”, have a “redirect /forward your domain” option, which is easy to do; you just put in the url link details pointing to your web space area.
4- But in the case for “Infinity free”, I do not get a full definitive url link address that I can redirect from the 1&1 support account. From the Infinityfree forum, all I can find on this subject, is to add in two generic urls;
ns1.epizy.com” and “ns2.epizy.com”, into your domain redirect details within 1&1 in my case. I tried this and it does not work ( yes I waited hours/and a day to propagate). The ns1. names are not specific enough to identify my actual Infintyfree folder were my website index.htm is residing. So how do you specify the exact folder location of were your index.htm is located, in order to add it into my “1&1” “Redirect/forward domain” field settings?
Hope this makes sense.

Forgot to add- the personlised Infinityfree url to my website, should at least have my personlised account id somewhere within it.

As I see it, there are two ways you can make your website work with InfinityFree.

Option 1: URL fowarding

The first option is to use URL forwarding. To do so, you can create a new hosting account with one of our free subdomains. After your account has been set up, you can forward your existing domain name to your free subdomain.

This is the easiest to set up and will make your website work essentially the same as it did with Virgin.

Option 2: Update your domain’s nameservers

Instead of forwarding the URL of your website, you may also be able to change your domain’s nameservers. That’s what the ns1.epizy.com and ns2.epizy.com were about.

Setting it up is slighly more involved. We have written generic instructions in our knowledge base. If you’re having trouble to apply the instructions in that article to 1&1, please check with 1&1 how to set “custom nameservers”.

In exchange, you get the ability to link directly to specific pages on your website, your domain name will be easier to find through search engines, you can setup email accounts for your domain, use HTTPS on your website, set a custom icon in the browser tab and many more benefits.

Hi - I have setup the “1&1” domain setting as shown, for the target parameter:-
Target
ns1.byet.org, ns2.byet.org, ns1.epizy.com, ns2.epizy.com

When I type in my URL on a search for “www.joebloggs.net” ( ie example), it does not forward to your server to show my web page (index.htm) which I setup.
There seems to be some disconnect with your options provided. The above four targets are so generic, that it needs to point to my “Infinity Free” folder specific location! ie my user id or some other specific Infinity free parameter; My user name is epiz_21866203, and I have a .epizy.com. So can I use the “1&1” “redirect to destination” option instead? ie The destination of a redirect may be an arbitrary domain or a valid URL. ?
Please advise how I can get my website up and working, using my .net domain name?

Forgot to mention ; “1&1” offers three options on the “Forward domain”; redirect to destination, redirect type and DNS settings. Which is the most appropriate setting for this to work alongside Infinity Free? thanks

@butters said:
Hi - I have setup the “1&1” domain setting as shown, for the target parameter:-
Target
ns1.byet.org, ns2.byet.org, ns1.epizy.com, ns2.epizy.com

When I type in my URL on a search for “www.joebloggs.net” ( ie example), it does not forward to your server to show my web page (index.htm) which I setup.

Those settings should work. Note that ns1.epizy.com is an alias of ns1.byet.org and the same goes for ns2, so you’re only really using two nameservers (using ns1-5.byet.org would be better), but these settings should work regardless.

Note that changing your nameservers doesn’t take effect immediately, it can take a day or two. I can check the settings for you if you’d like, but I’d need to know your actual domain name for that.

@butters said:
There seems to be some disconnect with your options provided. The above four targets are so generic, that it needs to point to my “Infinity Free” folder specific location! ie my user id or some other specific Infinity free parameter; My user name is epiz_21866203, and I have a .epizy.com.

That’s the magic! You point your domain name to our nameservers and we handle the rest! When you add your domain to your account, the nameservers are automatically configured to connect your domain to your hosting account. Nameservers are a lot easier than web forwarding, if you think about it.

Want to add subdomains? Your domain is configured automatically! Want to receive email? Your domain is configured automatically!

@butters said:
So can I use the “1&1” “redirect to destination” option instead? ie The destination of a redirect may be an arbitrary domain or a valid URL. ?

Yes, you could create an account with a free subdomain and use URL forwarding. But as I explained above, using nameservers gives you access to many more features.