Server maintenance message, now critical error on website

A few minutes ago, I went to my website and received notification that there was server maintenance and to try back in one minute.

Now after going back, this notification has appeared. Did something just change on the host server?

marshalwalden.com

Error Message:
“There has been a critical error on this website.”

Delete and reinstall WP !

is there any information in /wp-content/debug.log about the error ? it might help narrow down the issue

also check if debugging is enabled in wp-config.php check this two lines are set to true to enable debugging output and logging

// Enable WP_DEBUG mode
define( 'WP_DEBUG', true );

// Enable Debug logging to the /wp-content/debug.log file
define( 'WP_DEBUG_LOG', true );
2 Likes

i personally wouldnt delete and reinstall wp blindly without first checking for the cause of the error

that would be like the person who has a laptop that crashes after two hours of use and just reboots it and its fine for another two hours, never actually fixing the issue. its important to ask why !

2 Likes

Welcome, this shd help…

3 Likes

All,

Thanks for the help! Debugging was not enabled. Will enable for future logging.

It odd that earlier this morning all was working fine. Then about an hour ago I got the message about server maintenance being performed. I personally didn’t upgrade/install anything through the admin interface either as I’ve learned that installing anything over 10mb will crash the free site.

I will upload a backup to fix the issue, but figured it was worth checking before going this route.

Thanks again!

U hv to disable auto-update of plugins within WordPress.
Is under plugin section.
Also make sure Softaculous script did not auto-update themes/plugins

2 Likes

I had disabled auto-update from within WordPress, but didn’t know to check Softaculous, that may very well be it. Thanks for your help!

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.