Setting up SSL

Username (e.g. epiz_XXX) or Website URL

epiz_28810893
http://mjlc.rf.gd
(please specify the website or account you are asking about)

Error Message

Illegal characters in source hostname part. 10
(please share the FULL error message you see)

Other Information

I recently tried to set up an SSL certificate so my website will use https.
I entered my website, mjlc.rf.gd , to work with GoGetSSL on the Free SSL Certificate page.
I received the SSL certificate / set up page that has this information:

These are the nameservers we detected on your domain name: ns1.byet.org, ns2.byet.org, ns3.byet.org, ns4.byet.org, ns5.byet.org.
Record Name: _82d74cb51a6cda28b2dda35c84c07961
Domain: mjlc.rf.gd
Destination: 3A176A34341C68B5E5D126CF937639E4.138632F4C181483B82BB2579A0512593.t0723090001623789686.comodoca.com

Then I entered this information in control panel > CNAME Records that matched the same titles accordingly.

However, after doing this, I get the error message and the page reverts back to an empty CNAME Record in my control panel after clicking on “add”.

Do I have to wait 24hrs for this to work?
Or Is there something I’ve done incorrectly?

Thanks in advance.
(other information and details relevant to your question)

1 Like

Hey there, it is recomded you use epizy nameservers, although the ones you have should work. I would also recommend you use LetsEncript as the SSL provider, I find it easier and faster. Just create a new SSL certificate using LetsEncript and copy and paste the necessary CNAME records.
Thanks!

Thanks for the tip.

How would I go about changing my nameservers to epizy?

Visit your domain register and change the nameservers to ns1.epizy.com and ns2.epizy.com. Note that they basically are the same, so there really is no need to change them unless something is not working. I would get the SSL configured first. Let me know if you need help!

Ok, I’ll address the nameserver thing later.

I don’t have the option to use LetsEncript because my domain is a free subdomain provided by InfinityFree.
Or am I missing something here? Is there a way to use LetsEncript by making up another domain?

What are my options? Any insight is appreciated.

Thanks

1 Like

Oh, your right, I guess I never noticed that before :joy:

I guess you will just have to use GoGetSSL. Can you screenshot that page with the CNAME information on it? Also check and see if you are translating the page or not (as sometimes that can change the CNAME text on accident).
Thanks

Sure thing.
Here’s a screenshot.

As far as I know, my page is not being translated. I have not installed or use any translation for my infinityfree admin pages.

@codeBang You just need to add a CNAME record with the Name of the the first code starting with _82 and with the Destination of the second code starting with 3A and ending with comodica.com

uhhhh, that’s what I did already. I stated that at the beginning of the thread and I get an error message. That’s why I’m asking for help.

1 Like

me too, fixed by enabling cloudflare

Can you make a quick YT video and upload it to YouTube? Make sure you paste the link here.
Thanks

If all doesn’t work, then try to just get one from GoGetSSL’s real website. It works on subdomains too.

I would rather avoid making a Youtube video, but I will describe in detail what I did.

I’ve attached a second screenshot of the control panel window to set CNAME record.

Where it says “Record Name” in the control panel, I have copy and pasted the Record Name as seen from the first screenshot and the content of my first message above.
Where it says “Domain” of my control panel, I’ve copy/pasted the Domain from the first screenshot/ message above.
Where it says “Destination” in the control panel, I’ve copy/pasted the Destination from the screenshot / message above.

I hope this makes clear the steps I took to establish the CNAME record.

I would like to know how to make it work by using the services as provided by infinity free.
I would rather avoid using cloud flare to get around this issue as I believe that the CNAME record can be established without external services to complicate something that seems simple.

I would also like to avoid eventually paying for a SSL from GoGetSSL directly as inifnityfree.net already provides one. I just need to figure out how to make it work.

Or maybe it’s a lot more complicated, and I’ve just got the wrong idea about setting up SSL?
Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Thats right, except the “Domain” part is a dropdown menu, but I get what you mean. After you add the record(s) (Your screenshot shows you did not add anything yet), you will just need to wait (1min-24hr) for the CNAME check(s) to go to “Ready”.

Let me know if you need help!

Right.
So you now understand what I’ve already done.
I did all those things, where I entered all the information and then clicked on “Add” on the control panel page and then I get the error message:
“Illegal characters in source hostname part. 10”

I am then forced to click on “Go Back” and my CNAME record has not been created.

I still need help with this.

Got it, can you go to the screen that shows the CNAME record(s) that you are supposed to add? Please take a screenshot there.
Thanks

Sure.
I’ve already given you the screen shot. It’s the first one I posted.

Thanks

Sigh, sorry about that.

Make sure that after you copy it, no spaces end up in front or behind the code. If that does not work, I guess you can try getting it from GoGetSSL’s website, otherwise someone else will have to help you out further.
Thanks, and sorry about the goof-up

delete

Hi
After repeatedly trying to copy/paste the credentials, it finally worked! The CNAME entry was finally accepted and established.
I made sure that there weren’t any extra spaces in front or back of the code.

Thanks Greenreader9

And also thanks to everyone else who made suggestions.

3 Likes