Trouble accessing wp dashboard

First of all, if you’re moving an existing site, please don’t install WordPress and don’t try any automagic importers. They don’t work with your backup, and generally cause more trouble than they solve. Please remove that entire WordPress installation because it will only get in the way.

Interestingly, that tar file that looks like a Softaculous backup. So I think you can use Softaculous to restore it as well:

https://www.softaculous.com/docs/enduser/how-to-restore-a-backup-on-a-new-server/

3 Likes

Unlikely to work due to this requirement

This will only work if you have XML file as backup. Unfortunately your backup is of the Softaculous format. I believe this backup file is greater than 10mb as well.

You have to do it the manual way

3 Likes

Note : The backup will work fine only if the domain name and the path to the domain is the same as installation on old server.

yup not going to work cuz of this my friend

what is the manual way ?

You have to copy the necessary files and import database over to your new WP installation

5 Likes

can you tell me how to do that, please?

This thread should help

You can do this first

4 Likes

i uploaded my backup folder

You can’t do it like that. You need to upload the contents of your backup directly into the root folder.

So delete everything inside the htdocs folder, then upload the contents of your backup into the htdocs folder. DONT CREATE A NEW FOLDER MANUALLY.

Then, you need to open up PHPMyAdmin, confirm the database name is correct, and import your sql file.

4 Likes

Wholesale import of database tends to cause “critical error” in WP on IF

You are not following instructions. Read again

To avoid making a huge mess of your account, it works best if you clear the entire htdocs folder beforehand. This includes removing the current WordPress installation.

After all, you already have a WordPress installation in your backup, so no need to install another copy of WordPress.

Then upload the files to the htdocs directory, upload the database backups and update the database details in wp-config.php.

3 Likes

i did clear the htdocs folder but my folder doesn’t want to upload

Why not? Can you provide details?

1 Like

after I click to upload (nothing happened)

Can you use FileZilla?

The online file manager is not built to handle large amounts of files.

3 Likes

done i guess

This is what I see

Likely due to this

2 Likes

how to I confirm the database name is correct, and import my SQL file.?

You can check the list of databases in the MySQL Databases section in the control panel, and see the value currently used by opening the wp-config.php file and check the DB_NAME parameter.

Through phpMyAdmin. Yes, some large databases may be more difficult to import, but please try it the easy way first.

When you see a “There has been a critical error” message, instead of making guesses about what the issue could be, you could also try to get the real error message, which usually has a lot more details.

To do so, open the wp-config.php file of your site, find the WP_DEBUG parameter, and replace the false with true and safe the file.

Then reload the page, and you should see the real error message.

I just did that for your site, and got a bunch of errors which appear to be caused missing files in the seo-by-rank-math plugin. The easiest way to fix this is to go into the wp-content/plugins folder of your site and delete the seo-by-rank-math folder. This will remove the broken plugin and let you access the site.

Finally, after you’re done debugging, please make sure to reset the WP_DEBUG parameter back to false, because it’s bad for security if everyone can see all error messages.

5 Likes

there is no file named wp-config.php