Unwanted parking

I’m getting started with this service. So far all I did was create a subdomain for an account (it was required to access the config panel), set one of my domains to your NS servers as it indicated on the cpanel, saw that it created a folder where I uploaded a couple of static files. Accessing my domain now shows up the content I just uploaded.

However, using dig I notice the following:

;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 57117
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 2, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 1

;; OPT PSEUDOSECTION:
; EDNS: version: 0, flags:; udp: 512
;; QUESTION SECTION:
;blog(.)raykosite(.)com. IN A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
blog(.)raykosite(.)com. 21057 IN CNAME 11776(.)BODIS(.)com.
11776(.)BODIS(.)com. 2941 IN A 199.59.242.151

;; Query time: 44 msec
;; SERVER: 8.8.8.8#53(8.8.8.8)
;; WHEN: Mon May 27 22:41:04 -03 2019
;; MSG SIZE rcvd: 89

I haven’t set any subdomain yet for my domain (raykosite(.)com). Why does it respond to blog subdomain and goes to bodis(.)com? is that something that this service does on its own? It is a parking site apparently, so why blog(.)raykosite(.)com is going to a parked site? This is a bit worrying, can it be prevented?

Excuse the (.) replacements for dots, apparently fresh users like me can’t post more than 2 links (who thought that was a good rule to follow in a support forum?)

Bodis.com is a parking page provider. All unused subdomains on our nameservers are automatically linked to Bodis. So visitors who try to open unused domains will see advertisements, the revenue of which helps to pay for the free hosting infrastructure.

As soon as you add a subdomain through our control panel, our nameservers are automatically configured to remove your domain from Bodis and add it to your website. However, if you’re using your own nameservers, you will need to do so manually.

why it listed the “blog” as a result - I suppose the blog has remained as a record on your registrar or
some backward data…

test

This is a forum feature to restrict spam bots and It was decided by the people who founded stack overflow.
I can not show you from the inside how does that look like, but trust me it really serves the purpose

Thanks for the answer. I must say this is a bit unexpected. Can you point me to the ToS term mentioning this? I read part of it, and upon revisiting I don’t find any mention of this behaviour specifically for private domains that we may use in this service.

Unused subdomains are forwarded to Bodis by default. You cannot really change this behavior, but whenever you add a subdomain or custom CNAME record, the Bodis record is overridden with your new setting.

This behavior is not explicitly mentioned in the terms of service. The behavior of unused subdomains is not described in the terms, there is nothing mentioning the presence or guaranteeing the absence of it.

Premium plans also get this behaviour on private domains?

No. With premium hosting, you get full control over your DNS records. That means that no default subdomain records are injected by default, but you are able to set your own wildcard DNS records if you want.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.