What does the RAM limit mean

One of the limits InfinityFree enforces is the RAM limit. This article explains what the RAM limit means and how you can control it.

What is the RAM limit?

The RAM of a computer, often just called “memory”, is the storage uses by programs to store temporary data while the program is being executed.

Every time a PHP script is executed, it uses RAM to store intermediary data necessary to generate a response. Free hosting servers come with a large amount of RAM, but the amount of data that can be stored in it is finite.

Because of that, the RAM limit measures how much memory the scripts of your accounts use and for how long. If your website’s code is trying to hog all the memory, it will be taken offline for 24 hours.

How much RAM power can I use?

The exact way the RAM usage is calculated is rather complicated. Additionally, you should stay within the limit and not try to optimize your website to use as much memory as possible without hitting the limit.

Because of that, the exact method the RAM usage is calculated is confidential. InfinityFree also cannot give you a definitive number on how much CPU power your account can use.

Why is my RAM usage so high?

There are various reasons why your RAM usage is high. For example:

• Your website received a lot of hits, which caused PHP scripts to be executed many times.
  • Your website code requires a lot of memory to generate a response for a request.

How do I reduce my RAM usage?

Here are some recommendations to help reduce your RAM usage (and make your website load faster in the process):

• Remove unnecessary plugins and scripts from your website. The less code is being executed on your website, the less memory it generally needs to generate a response.
  • Install caching on your website, to help ensure no more data is loaded into memory than is necessary.

The tips above don’t work for me, how do I keep my website online?

If your memory usage is still too high after following the recommendations above (or you are having trouble applying the tips to your website), please consider to upgrade your account to premium hosting.

With premium hosting, the CPU usage limits are far higher than with free hosting, so your website can continue to grow. Add to that the other great features of premium hosting, like free SSL certificates, Cloudflare RailGun and an award winning cloud hosting platform, and you can be sure your website will stay fast and reliable.

1 Like