Why can't I install any plugin on WordPress?

I can’t install any plugin on WordPress. It displays ‘Update failed!’ and says, “Installation failed: There has been a critical error on your website”. It happens for most of the plugin. How to solve the error?

The Admin has made an article specifically for that error. Please read that:

https://infinityfree.net/support/installation-failed-critical-error-on-your-website/

3 Likes

It is not similar to that. And the manual installation works every time. But it is time consuming. Normally the ‘Update failed!’ error occurs while updating a plugin or installing a big plugin. But what plugins I install are very small. And the problem don’t happen a single time while updating but it happens every time while installing.

It is not similar to that. And the manual installation works every time. But it is time consuming. Normally the ‘Update failed!’ error occurs while updating a plugin or installing a big plugin. But what plugins I install are very small. And the problem don’t happen a single time while updating but it happens every time while installing.

It also happens while installing themes.

That’s because they’re greater than 10MB.

1 Like

You’re right, it’s not similar. It’s the exact same. It’s the same error message caused by the same action. And like the article says: installing manually is the answer.

Limitations present on free hosting prevent these plugins from installing cleanly through the WordPress admin interface. Which means a manual installation is the only option. Yes, it’s more cumbersome than just hitting a single button in the WordPress admin panel. But if that option doesn’t work, then it doesn’t work.

I originally thought the file size was the problem too. But I did some testing myself (to write the article shared above) and both WooCommerce and UpdraftPlus fail quite consistently, despite the plugins being only 7.7 MB and 6.6 MB respectively. I suspect that the PHP time limits are breaking the installations, but I didn’t test that yet to verify.

I wouldn’t call 27 MB of extracted content in over 1000 files “small”.

Thanks, I’ll be sure to include that in the article!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.