Wordpress: Failed to write file to disk

I have a problem now that when I try to upload a picture in wordpress, it says “Failed to write file to disk”. I tried changing permissions for the files but it didn’t help. I found in a forum this:

WordPress uses a temporary file directory in PHP during file transfers. In this case, you will need to contact your web host to have them empty out this directory. This is often a hidden location, and you may be unable to access this area with Filezilla or any other FTP program.

Is there a way to do that?

@sigitynka said:
Thanks, I uploaded through FTP and it worked. I have a problem now that when I try to upload a picture in wordpress, it says “Failed to write file to disk”. I tried changing permissions for the files but it didn’t help. I found in a forum this:

WordPress uses a temporary file directory in PHP during file transfers. In this case, you will need to contact your web host to have them empty out this directory. This is often a hidden location, and you may be unable to access this area with Filezilla or any other FTP program.

Is there a way to do that?

I don’t understand why they think cleaning out the tmp directory would fix this. I’m fairly certain the tmp folder is not full or otherwise blocking file writes.

Nevertheless, the tmp folder is a system directory, so you cannot clean it yourself.

From what I know from that error, it’s usually caused by a missing directory or bad file permissions. Please check if the wp-content/uploads/<year>/<month>/ directories exist and are writable (the permissions should be 755).

about that, I made a dumb mistake and accidentally pressed enter when changing permissions and now it’s messed up :neutral: . Now I can’t change back.

I accidentally changed /sigitynka.com/htdocs/wp-content/uploads to 007 or something

This discussion was created from comments split from: Cannot install plugins in wordpress admin panel..

Command: CWD /sigitynka.com/htdocs/wp-content/uploads
Response: 550 Can’t change directory to /sigitynka.com/htdocs/wp- content/uploads: Permission denied
Error: Failed to retrieve directory listing

Yes, it looks like your permissions have been messed up. Unfortunately, there is no way to reset such permissions at this time.