10000 forum users celebration - special event

Screenshot 2023-02-24 181741

Screenshot 2023-02-24 181342

Screenshot 2023-02-24 182505

5 Likes
4 Likes

Really loving the fact that I used to name SQL statements with numbers, super annoying when debuging when all you see is $sql12 = stmt12->fetch(); and $sql8 = stmt8->fetch();.

And for some reason I used random numbers (One or two digit) with no apparent pattern or order (For example, $sql25 was the first SQL statement in the file, and the second one was called $sql9).

I want to throw a computer monitor at my past self for that one

6 Likes

Programming…

I naively programmed in C around a week ago thinking that I wouldn’t run into any memory management issues.

Spent 3 hours on a wild goose chase because C’s native string manipulation functions (by standards) made the string an anything-but-a-string.

AKA, the string manipulation functions don’t include a null terminator, so I have to do it myself. Because of this I was corrupting the heap. Also, malloc gives the variable more memory than I asked for. :person_shrugging:

(As for the standards thingy, basically because it doesn’t include a null terminator when it manipulates the string, and in this case, I was creating an empty byte sequence in the form of a char array, or rather a to-be-string and then copying an existing string over. By not including a null terminator, something that the standards define as a crucial component that contributes to making a string what it is, it is no longer, by standards considered to be a string. That’s nasal demons for ya, haha. I started getting Klingon when printing the results of the other variables lol).

4 Likes

If this forum used Flarum, I would totally convince Admin to install this:

4 Likes

Any equivalent for Discourse…???
I think I know who you are referring to…

4 Likes

As funny as that would sound, such a thing can go horribly wrong for so many reasons, but I’ll just mention the most obvious one: the user creating a new temporary account and facing no such issues for an extended period of testing. Good luck explaining your way out of that one.

Post locks and bans in the most extreme cases are so much simpler and keep your sanity in check. Someone that wants to learn eventually will, someone that doesn’t won’t, but this method would help neither of them.

6 Likes

Maybe they should a Discourse version

My newest comment in a TinkerHost PHP file:

//Don't remove the & sign. I don't understand it, it does not work without it, and ChatGPT said to add it
7 Likes

Run faster!!!

Sorry guys, I just had to.

In other news, I’ve always wondered what psychosis and hallucinations feel like:

It’s actually a very interesting game. I bought the sequel as well. The sequel is definitely more detailed, but both are cool.

5 Likes

The beauty of it is that it can explain the addition to you. Ask it to explain why it’s there, and it should produce a correct response.

4 Likes

:face_with_spiral_eyes: :crazy_face:

I can’t wait to watch the ghost have a video conference :joy:

7 Likes

I dug through their forum and basically what you get through the API is pretty stupid AI compared to the demo or bing/new

5 Likes

Have I ever shown you guys Laur?

Combines Hardcore, Dubstep and Rawstyle and Epic Orchestral into songs.

He’s amazing.

He even does piano solos!

Just listening to all of them and then watching the last one and hearing solely piano really throws you off, huh?

It’s so weird to hear such a hard hitting artist doing epic piano solos.

Also, watch the intro for this:

It’s so cute that he added a rawstyle kick for when the girl slammed the phone.

Gotta be one of the best sound effects I’ve heard. I think I’ll use the grittier EDM genres for sound effects like that when I’m feeling humorous.

As for my music, I’ve focused more on building up my skills instead of making songs (I’m still making melodies, though).

I’m slowly learning to identify pitch. Learning an instrument (piano) is probably next :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Such a freaking idiot.

Spend 2 hours stressing over a stupid miss-communication between two parts of TH BETA, turns out I forgot to remove my placeholder/testing data.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

6 Likes

Bing web master really likes to act weird

That year Bing didn’t even exist (founded in 2009) :joy:
Not to mention the domain never existed before 2022.
Meh…sit down and waste a few hours contacting support and waiting for answers,
and then it works again.

So I’m not surprised when users on this forum say that bing gives them some error regarding retrieving pages.

6 Likes

52,000 deaths so far

vid1

vid2

vid3

vid4

vid5

vid6

Hey @oxy, do you know if Hyper-V would be a good choice for running Linux? I’m thinking of having a little VM on my windows machine so I can install and run Linux Distros (I’m thinking of Ubuntu right now). Hyper-V is one of the VMs I’m thinking of trying out, or maybe VMware.

Also, how much space should I allocate on my 2TB hard drive. I don’t want too much, as I plan on having a lot of videos and I’ll definitely need all of that space (unless I want to get an external drive to store it, which I should probably get anyways for a backup). Or could I just install Ubuntu on a small flash drive and run it from there (actually install it, not just use it for the “trial” version of Ubuntu).

3 Likes

You can also consider VirtualBox.
If you want lightweight Linux, Q4OS, Bodhi and Arch Linux are good candidates too

4 Likes

for what ?

if you are talking about virtual
it depends on what you want to be installed on that OS

for example, 50GB is too much for win7/10/11 (if you only want to have the OS there)
if you want to add 20 programs there, allow the OS to go online and update, the antivirus installed as well, then you will need something more (not immediately, but after some time the disk fills up).
also 32bit vs 64bit.

The same is the case for Linux
especially since Lin likes to have a swap part as well. and it should be the size of RAM
now again it depends on how much RAM you allocated to the virtual OS

I don’t know if you are talking about the new Win sys partition or something else,
but in both cases, the videos should not be on the sys partition
because then the backup of the sys partition takes up a lot of space unnecessarily
and it takes your place on the sys part. unnecessarily, nor are these files that you use constantly

Always keeps all memories and other things outside the sys partition

I use virtualbox

it’s a bit more complex until you get familiar with it

it also has some advantages, hdd is virtual and expands automatically as needed
another advantage is that you can copy that dir and carry it with you and everything is in it - it is not related to the OS, the only thing you need is to have Vbox installed and take it to those files.

First, you set the directory for virtual hard disks (machines) is somewhere outside the system partition

then you add the machine in the options (select OS lin vs win) and say use this ISO

then you will panic a little because the mouse will disappear
i.e. the vbox window will swallow it (until you install an additional package through the virtual os)

there are keys on the keyboard to restore it (move the focus between the real OS and the virtual one)

and once you fully boot the virtual OS

download this VM VirtualBox Extension Pack

you need it for a lot of things
like 3D, high resolution, etc.

then mount it through virtual OS and install - 6.4. Installing the VirtualBox Guest Additions

for everything else RTFM
especially to remember to use snapshots if you make some changes to the OS
so you can always go back in time

how the OS will look and behave depends on the parameters you assign here

Maybe it’s all too complex for you right now, so it’s better to use Hyper-V

especially if you want quick and easy access via PowerShell
and if you have e.g. Windows Subsystem for Linux Documentation | Microsoft Learn

if you just want to play
then Lin LIVE distro via usb stick boot is the best solution (live = lives in RAM / no install)
(from the small Puppy Linux all the way to the huge Kali)

4 Likes