10000 forum users celebration - special event

I noticed that we often have problems when users post screenshots because it is in another language.

Well for those who don’t know, Google can translate the images for you
Just drag a picture and put it in the G. search bar
and there you decide what you want with it

4 Likes

So just flash to a USB stick and boot from there?

Yeah, only problem with that is that I can’t switch to my windows desktop if I need it, while a VM is really just a program window with an OS being emulated (I can tab out of it. Also, with virtualbox, you said that the mouse disappears and such, so wouldn’t alt+tabbing fix that as you switch focus from virtual box to the windows desktop).

Although…

So screw me I guess.

The other one I found is VMWare, but I don’t know which to choose from the two. I heard that VMWare has somewhat better performance than VirtualBox, but again, I don’t know which to choose (and apparently both as opposed to Hyper-V allow more seamless integration to make it feel like you are actually running the OS). I’ll try and run VirtualBox, though, as it seems to have more functionality (at the cost of performance which shouldn’t be an issue on a gaming laptop) and also it’s a bit more tricky to set up when launching a virtual machine. I can run any virtual machine so long as I have the files for it, right? Like Linux mint or
*cough* … UwUntu

I have it on the big drive. The system partition is only 250 GB anyways, so a 2TB would work better. Actually, it would be even better if it was off of the SSDs entirely (and on an external one).

Update: so, I got it, but for some reason, installing virtualbox-guest-dkms on my vm does this:

I can’t transfer files between the host and the guest because I don’t have guest services installed, which is really frustrating, and I can’t get it because dkms doesn’t install.

Aaaaaand I just used the CDRom version. IDk why dkms didn’t install, but I got it working. The question is though, why didn’t it work. Did the newer versions of virbox not include that package?

3 Likes

It will not if you install the guest additions first

Yup, you just need the Linux iso file

You can, follow this guide

How to enable a Virtualbox shared folder for Linux guest systems | Average Linux User.

5 Likes

Did you?

5 Likes

yes - (just be careful never to say install always select live/RAM)
it’s always useful to have something like that on a stick, because if the main OS goes crazy, maybe you can fix it through the live version or at least copy some files and so on.
In addition, you can see some hidden files from Win and modify them if necessary (if you know what you’re doing).

There are also some additional options to save some settings on a usb stick, such as the language username, pass, and OS configuration
so that the next time you boot from stick it pulls those settings and you don’t have to configure that Live OS again…

Read a bit on the net about how to do it depending on the distro - if you need it at all

btw. it doesn’t have to be a USB stick, it can be an SD card (useful when you have a laptop and that plastic adapter)

There are several commands that can “convert” versions like “home” to pro etc.
not only for hyper-v but also for other things

and I think that by default vbox allows the virtual OS to go online
so it’s better to turn it off in the options if you don’t need that function

You don’t need e.g. virtual win11 to download the 5GB update and do it in the background (choking the CPU)
while you want, for example, to test some of your programs and the like…

Screenshot 2023-03-04 093426

if you need it, just tick it again and I think NAT is enough

no - your cursor/mouse are not in Win but in a virtual machine

Press/hold right CTRL and move the mouse
if you don’t have a guest cd installed
or are you currently in the boot process or safe mode etc. (depending on OS)

6 Likes

Yeah I found out all of this pretty quickly.

Yep, and it’s installed in Virbox.

I wonder if it’s the Python and Win32 API files that Virbox warned me about when installing (although I did the steps that I found online to “fix” it but it still gave me that warning, even though everything is installed).

I still don’t know why it didn’t install DKMS, but I installed the guest additions from the CD rom I mounted.

You know, one of the reasons I wanted to do this is because this was related to my PSEO (College while in high school) work.

We had a VM from a cloud provider, but I wanted to host one on my computer (more flexibility).

This was one of my assignments, so I wanted to try it out on my own VM:

Who here thinks that I went overboard on customizing Ubuntu?

(I saw this on this video and it was just so funny that I had to try it).

3 Likes

Sometimes you do not need that.
Most of the time, after inserting the Guest Addition CD, running

sudo sh VBoxLinuxAdditions.run

should do the trick

5 Likes

Screenshot 2023-03-05 160628

@Thewebuser22 you have a syntax error on your wallpaper

7 Likes

wow this new search also changes the images

Screenshot 2023-03-06 104357

1 Like

:scream_cat:

Screenshot 2023-03-06 200244

if you know who is “Larry the cat” :joy:

7 Likes

That tweet’s funny.

And why does it seem that I get more and more news from those comedy talk shows than from anything else?

Case in point, the comic that disappeared from the newspaper:

Yes, I read the comics in the newspaper sometimes, :exploding_head:

Just spend the last half hour cursing out a protype bard I made because it was not working. Turns out I put the solder on just the pin, it was not making contact :crazy_face:

6 Likes

Allow me to be a tad bit controversial.

I liked that comic. And while I do not condone what the author said (calling any generalized group of people based off of a physical characteristic a hate group isn’t true at all), I feel that a lot of times we must distance the works from the author. If we knew the hearts of the people who made our stuff, I think we’d buy and consume a lot less of the products of our world.

5 Likes

when you are already discussing that topic
here is a fresher video from mordor

:chipmunk: - https://twitter.com/Gerashchenko_en/status/1633136675567153153

5 Likes

I think they may have forgotten to update the email templates:

tinkertechlab.com saw more threats than the average site on Cloudflare last month. With the busy holiday season here, it’s a good time to ensure that your sites are protected

2 Likes

big inhale

Yeah, things aren’t going that well. Seriously just want to cry, as I don’t know how to give up (although it’s for the better to keep going, it still hurts).

I’m very conceited to think that I could get to the quality I want in a few months, but it feels that I got no ideas in my head, and when they come I can’t get them down. I’m randomly placing notes, likely because I’m doing it at night when I’m tired, but my general burnout, laziness and ADHD really make it hard to focus. I just end up goofing off. So far the longest music making session that I’ve recorded is an hour a half only. Aah, take me back to the days when during MEA break I coded for around 8 hours straight for 2-3 days and could actually focus!

And then there’s the times where I go down rabbit holes but not for the hobbies I want (spent a lotta spare time in school today reading about Stuxnet and thinking about how I can analyze malware for the benefit of humanity). Why is it so hard to get my crap together and focus? Why? Why? Why? Why? Why?

Oh and there’s also so many other anxieties pushing at me. Not to mention ACT tests tomorrow, although they don’t bother as much as the pressure from so many other things like music

One of the reasons why I am indecisive is that I believe that, like with 3D modelling, I’ll just waste some time and resources and then give up (although 3D modelling lasted not even a week, so several months is a stronger sign). I’m worried that I’m not “worthy” of upgrading and that really, because I’m bad with LMMS then I’m gonna be bad with FL Studio (although I do love how it is a lot easier to visualize and control your music within that context. That may be one of the reasons I don’t get the sound I want, especially because a lot of the sound tutorials require more proprietary mixing and effects that are much easier to use in FL than in LMMS).

Oy, my head is spinning every day. You should see my music journal that I started. Almost entirely pure criticism.

5 Likes

I already told you to stop looking at yourself that way
because that only reinforces the negative effect

Your thoughts create your reality
therefore, anyone must be very careful what they think and recognize when their brain starts having mental diarrhea to stop it and change the subject.

You are young and it is somewhat normal to search for yourself and try many things until you find something that interests you

What you need is persistence - so if you start something, try to bring it to an end (if there is an end at all) or at least materialize it in some form.

Besides that, you are interested in many things - hunger for knowledge and understanding of the world around us.

It is normal and characteristic of a mature person or IQ

When someone is young, they also have the desire to prove themselves to the world “that he can”
Some do it even when they get old because they haven’t matured yet or had a feeling of inferiority or some trauma from the past.

Generally, we all do it to some extent…
No one has a formula for a successful life
life is a strange thing - why live at all when you’re going to die anyway, why all that effort day after day?
The more you know about people and the world, the more screwed you are.

So when someone who is in quotation marks “successful”
and in fact, he inherited wealth from his parents (or through some criminal activities)
when they interview him
then he starts talking crap like “it’s because I’m very determined and I have a vision blah blah”,
instead of admitting that he is simply lucky (or admitting that he inherited wealth so many doors are open to him at the start).

In the same way, when someone makes a song, he won’t say I took drugs so I got “inspiration”, but he will say:
“I sat in the meadow picking daisies and connected with nature, so the juices of inspiration flowed - and the notes in my head appeared”

because it is easier to lie to yourself and others than to be realistic.
They lie to give themselves more value.

It’s easy when someone is a limited person
and nothing else interests him except one specific thing, and then all the time of his life plunges into it.

It is more difficult for people who have a lot of interests, they are more versatile and then life pushes them into various spheres over the years.

It’s best to tell yourself “I am what I am” and the essence of your life is to be happy - whatever you do.
There is no point in being the most respected scientist and the winner of several Nobel prizes if you are not happy and your life is not fulfilled.

Live life in such a way that
if you die tomorrow you can tell yourself “I lived happily and fulfilled - I tried everything and experienced everything”.

In fact, most of us would be happy if we were alone in the world and didn’t compare ourselves to anyone,
if you were alone on an island for years, you would probably think of yourself as a very successful person, you would be happy because you wouldn’t see some rich fool bragging.
Nor would anyone tell you “you should do this and do like this”, nor would anyone judge you from the outside about your life - except yourself :slight_smile:

This then ultimately brings us to this question:

Are you living life for yourself or for others ?

When you give yourself the answer to that,
then you will do what you think is right and arrange your life according to those principles.

7 Likes

Agree, just be best version of you. Pointless to compare yourself with others

5 Likes

Yeah, it’s hard to live happily when life gives you bad cards - you don’t have much choice at your disposal,
but at least you have the choice of what kind of thoughts you will have and not let your thoughts destroy you.

3 Likes

Thanks so much for the advice, all!

Another problem is then I end up thinking: oh well music was just a way to cope, so I should give up and go back to what I was wanting to do all along because that was what would truly make me happy (in other words, I feel that switching interests is merely a coping mechanism and not a true switch of interests). I still like programming, but music, too now? I think I’m too focused in the now, choosing what will make me happy immediately, but I definitely want to make music and have a future in that. Best to prepare, I guess. I’ll keep trying because I’ve always liked music and I’ve always wanted to make it (although the urge is a lot stronger now).

Also,

I finished ACTs today!

So happy! I think I did ok :slight_smile:

6 Likes

OK intro

then turn off the video :smile:

then play this but
turn it up really loud on the headphones so that it breaks everything plus full HD in settings
I’ll probably continue when I get time, so here’s a little bit of the project

3 Likes