Total Newbee, totally lost

what do you see ?
maybe this https://infinityfree.net/support/why-doesnt-my-domain-work/

okay i found what it is
I told you to install WP on some other acc
not to mix with your site

The problem is in that .htaccess that we did before

My website as made from Publisher works fine right now, all Iā€™m getting is a crude directory tree similar to that of the file manager in my epizy page. Oh oh, did I mess everything up now? Iā€™m still not sure what you mean by ac c.

read my previous post

and do this

softaculous - if you want to uninstall
on the toolbar (up right) the box icon is located (the mouse above that icon will write ā€œall installationsā€)
click it
and then https://softaculous.com/docs/How_to_remove_a_installation

then create some new acc with some free subdomain and play with the WP

The removal I had already sort of figured out, just waited for your reply before hitting remove. So then I need to create a new subdomain? Then how shall I use wordpress on this domain - question still remains the same.

once you learn the basics in WP
then you wipe out your old page because you do not need it anymore
and create WP there

for now youā€™re just learning and experimenting

Youā€™ve been great, and I canā€™t thank you enough. However Iā€™ve created a second domain already but donā€™t know how to install wordpress still. Should I again do that through softaculous? But if I do, I still donā€™t comprehend what to do with that directory tree and lack of understandable user interface.

1 Like

the reason why there is a default ā€œWPā€ value in Directory field from Softaculous

if a user install, for example some forum or other app to root
and then install WordPress

all of these files would be overwritten (or deleted - problem!)
so that does not happen
there are automatic values (DIRs) for each application where it will be installed
because you can have 10+ applications not just WordPress

but in your case you do not need that subdirectory ā€œWPā€
5.Fill in the required settings. You probably want to clear the ā€œDirectoryā€ field if you want the script to be your main site https://infinityfree.net/support/how-to-install-cms/

Lol, youā€™re the best. Ok, while you were using up valuable personal time doing this for me, I installed it and saw my 2 links displayed on the install page. However now Iā€™ve wandered off that page and when going back I no longer see the admin page link - only the home link. How the heck do I get back to the admin page? Is there an easy link somewhere in all this info? It was a long address which I cannot remember anymore - I thought I could find it again.

Oh forget it, I found it. Just have to click on the head

URL = your sub/domain name + /wp-admin/

because I believe that knowledge should be transferred/shared and not kept :smile:

WP tutorials tutorial 1 tutorial 2

Hi,
You can also use gallery softwares like Piwigo and Gallery both are available to install using softaculous.

Sorry for my hiatus, been too busy to look into the sites. Since our last communications, I have formed 1 with WP and the existing with Publisher. Frankly, there seem to be pros and cons with both systems. But I spent a lot of time messing with the WP site and wish to go back to the MS site and experiment further as I continue to learn. I found that adding a photo album to even the WP site is complicated and not that friendly while it seems to be all together impossible with MS. I found some imperfect ways of doing it with WP and now I wish to try with MS. I learned one can imbed HTML fragment which I think is useful here. However I cannot seem to learn how to utilize this feature even though I understand the concept. I think I have some confusion with the fact InfinityFree apparently does not have a public folder. I assume whatever I upload into my file structure cannot be seen by the public. I tried anyway to make folders with a test photo, then type in the address for these in my browser to go looking for the photo - keep getting an error page. I assume it is pointless to learn how to imbed a fragment until I can successfully see the photo publicly. I searched the internet up and down to find ways of viewing photos or creating an album with MSpublisher2007 and coming up with very little. Can anyone refer a page or source that is very helpful in this regard?

Oh and Lolz, I looked briefly into the sw as you suggested, but with my limited knowledge cannot determine if I can use these in conjunction with my MS site as it is presently configured. Guess I was hoping I could just do a majority of it on my Publisher rather than bouncing around all over. And OxyDac, I went looking into who you were, a website company making a living off of websites! Thanks so much for helping out even though it is your livelihood.

Another idea I just got is making a PP slideshow and using install object to add it. May not be exactly the same as linking to higher res photos or viewing a photo album but an option. Your thoughts?

Hi buddy :slight_smile:

htdocs = public
but WP added .htaccess or index file to some sensitive directories so they would not be publicly visible (security)

Problemsā€¦especially when you use something from year 2007. like Office2007,
just imagine how much the world and websites have changed over the years and even the emergence of smartphones.

Your website created on that old tool does not know what is responsive design and much more. Some things just need to be left in the past.

You can always hack it around and somehow insert a slider or gallery, but you have to think in advance, to build your site on good and modern foundations (it will make it easier for you to work).

Because tomorrow you may want to add something else so youā€™ll have a problem again.

You should also consider the devices your visitors are using, not just how it looks on your device. You need to be uniformed (do not mix styles, think about the speed of the site, etc.).

I know that switching to another tool is a problem
because you are bombarded with large amounts of information and the brain simply stuck and give up :smile:

But I think is better to sit down and learn WordPress instead of spend time (in vain) on making a site through Office that is not compatible with modern devices, the time in which we live, layout, etc.

Socrates advised: ā€œThe secret of change is to focus all of your energy, not on fighting the old, but on building the new.ā€

Here are someWP plugins (you have a demo and help there)
and then choosing what is more appropriate for you (galleries or sliders)
I did not test them - it is possible that some require things that go beyond free hosting

Canā€™t say I disagree with you, just enjoy working with MS more as it makes far more sense to me and is more customizable. (Although I also am aware WP does not want some things customizable to keep format and uniformity and such). Thanks again, will venture on and see how things turn out.

Iā€™m sorry for being such a nag, but need to reach out again. Really frustrated with wordpress, somehow I find it extremely difficult to work with as compared to MS. But as per your suggestion, I have focused my efforts with this software. I have made modifications to my site and after several hours - am on my way to configuring a site the way I want it. However I still hate the fact I canā€™t display the site the way I want. I have the appearance set to static homepage and 2 columns, however I still cannot use a majority of the realestate on the page (for instance anything on the left side). If you donā€™t mind, could you checkout the site and give me suggestions for using up some of the boring empty space especially on the left?

In addition, can a person limit how many blogs appear on the blog page? Right now I have 2 blogs and since my first is very long, I find the page just goes on-and-on-and-on which is made worse by the fact blogs keep getting added to the end of the last one. With MS, I could display the page using up much more realestate so the data card reader review seemed much easier to read with much shorter page height.

marcosphotostudio.epizy.com

So, Ive added a bunch of stuff - still quite preliminary. Learned a lot so far, used an add-on for photo gallery that works very well and made my posts much more like what I wanted. I guess WP on its own needs a lot of help to make it a full software. So I still can`t figure out what to do to make better use of realestate on my homepage, although my posts and general site structure are forming more like what I hoped. I despise that large gap of nothingness on the left side of the homepage, wish I could spread the photo-links 2 or 3 sideways to give me less of it.

Oh and another thing - I cant figure out for the life of me how to get to the site without first logging into a bunch of Infinity free pages. To date, Ive been logging into inifinityfree-accounts-controlpanel-softaculous-wordpress and then clicking on the little head icon for admin! I tried manually typing into my page address /admin but then it brings me to a wordpress login page which doesnt appear to take the credentials Ive been using.

What troubles you is the problem of anyone who has a personal website,
because you do not have so much content that you could put in
and that the story is not limited only to ā€œME, ME, ME, ME and again MEā€
and that everything looks like it is some ego trip :joy:

means you have to design more content and include a lot of psychology
(subliminally persuade people to stay and explore your site)

side menu (left) move to the right

WP should accept pass and user name
maybe your browser has remembered the wrong data (if you use that option)