Useful Links for Newbies

I thought I would write this for two reasons: One, i’m bored and have nothing better to do; Two, it really annoys me when new users create a whole topic about a Temporary Suspension, without even looking the InfinityFree Support Site.

(@anon19508339 is going to love this post because it is really really long)

Main Support Site

https://support.infinityfree.net/

Account Temporary Suspensions

At some point or another, our accounts get suspended for some reason. It might be that you have a bit-too-powerful website that is eating away at the Server CPU or maybe you have a website that makes the server do too much work.

Read this article as it may help you understand how Account Suspensions work: Why does my domain redirect to suspendeddomain.org / suspended-website.com - Docs - InfinityFree Forum

Here are some links which can explain why your account gets temporarily suspended:

CPU Limit: What does the CPU limit mean - Docs - InfinityFree Forum
Entry Process Limit: What is an Entry Process and what does the limit mean - Docs - InfinityFree Forum
Hits Limit: What does the hits limit mean - Docs - InfinityFree Forum
Inode Limit: What does the inode limit mean - Docs - InfinityFree Forum
MySQL overloading: What does MySQL overloading mean - Docs - InfinityFree Forum
RAM Limit: What does the RAM limit mean - Docs - InfinityFree Forum
Site used all available php / apache processes : This site/page has used all available php / apache processes - Docs - InfinityFree Forum

These are the main reasons why your account may be temporarily suspended.

Account “Permanent” Suspension

This one is not so common amongst hosting accounts. If your account shows a reason for suspension, and a time limit for when your account will be unsuspended, then please read the section above. However, if your account does not show a time when your account will be unsuspended, but instead shows a button saying “Open Support Ticket” then your account has been “Permanently” Suspended.

The most common reason provided in this suspension will be something like “Account Suspended due to abuse”. Quite often, this is triggered by an automatic security system. All you can do at that point, is open a support ticket (It is also the only way to have a chance at having your account activated again). Once you submit the support ticket you will receive a response within 24 hours as to why your account was suspended. Sometimes this suspension is a mistake and your account will be reactivated. Sometimes there will be a reason behind it and your account will not be reactivated.

Getting started with a new web hosting account

Read this article: Getting started with a new web hosting account - Docs - InfinityFree Forum

Account Management

Read these articles:

Domain & DNS Management

Main Articles:

Email Management

NOTE THAT EMAIL ACCOUNTS ARE NO LONGER SUPPORTED AND YOU CANNOT CREATE ANY NEW EMAIL ACCOUNTS!!

(Short explanation why they removed it: What would the new Email protocol be like in InfinityFree? - #4 by Admin)

Note that you cannot use the default PHP mail() Function - More Information - Instead, read the article below:

https://support.infinityfree.net/email/email-forwarders-and-gmail/

Other Email Alternatives:

SMTP, POP & IMAP Access
https://support.infinityfree.net/email/pop-imap-smtp/

FTP File Management

How to upload files to your website: How to upload files with FTP - Docs - InfinityFree Forum
Cannot connect to FTP: Help, I cannot connect to FTP - Docs - InfinityFree Forum
Files deleted after uploading them: Why are my files deleted after uploading them - Docs - InfinityFree Forum
How to backup your website: How to backup your website - Docs - InfinityFree Forum
How to upload big files/archives: How to upload big files / archives - Docs - InfinityFree Forum
File Size Limit: What is the file/upload size limit - Docs - InfinityFree Forum

**It is highly suggested that use an FTP Client like FileZilla to upload/download files as it is far more reliable that the File Manager provided in the Control Panel.

HTTPS & SSL

Getting a Free SSL Certificate: Getting SSL certificates from sslforfree.com or zerossl.com - Docs - InfinityFree Forum
How to create the CName Records for Free SSL: How to create the CNAME records for free SSL - Docs - InfinityFree Forum
Install an SSL Certificate: How to install an SSL certificate - Docs - InfinityFree Forum
“Error: The certificate uploaded is NOT for the domain name”: Error: "The certificate uploaded is NOT for the domain name" - Docs - InfinityFree Forum

MySQL & Databases

Common Errors: Common MySQL Connection Errors - Docs - InfinityFree Forum
Connecting from External Application: Connecting to MySQL from an external application - Docs - InfinityFree Forum
Unable to access phpMyAdmin: Unable to access phpMyAdmin - Docs - InfinityFree Forum

WordPress

How to install WordPress: How to install WordPress - Docs - InfinityFree Forum
Installation Error: Installation failed: There has been a critical error on your website - Docs - InfinityFree Forum
WordPress & Cloudflare Flexible SSL: How to make Cloudflare Flexible SSL work with WordPress - Docs - InfinityFree Forum

FAQs

One of the most frequently asked questions on this forum is about DNS Propagation – So here is a short section explaining it:

“You’ve added a new domain name to your account, just changed your nameservers or recently modified some DNS settings. However, they aren’t working yet. You’ve discovered already that it’s not working yet because of something called “DNS Propagation”. But what does that mean?”

This is a bit too long to explain in a post so please read this Article: What is DNS propagation - Docs - InfinityFree Forum

If you’ve just added a website to InfinityFree or just created a subdomain, and you keep seeing “The Server IP Address Could Not Be Found”, this is due to DNS Caching. To clear your DNS Cache, follow the instructions for your OS below:

Another one of the most frequently asked questions on this forum is about Website Caching. By default, InfinityFree caches Static Files, such as Javascript & CSS Files. You can also use a caching service like Cloudflare if you want more caching.

If you’ve just updated your JS or CSS File and are wondering why there is no change, this is because of caching. There are a few simple methods to get around this. The most advised one is just to clear your Browser Cache, which will then update the website. Another way, if you want the updates to be instant for everyone is to add a version to the end of the file, for example,

<link rel=“stylesheet” href=“mycssfile.css?v=1.0.0”>

There are other ways around this, for example you could use PHP to add a unique number as the version, so that the browser is forced to fetch a new version of the file.

This is the last of the FAQs, this is a really commonly asked question. You see a lot of posts where somebody says something like “Why can’t people access stuff from my site”. This is due to the Security System stopping non-browser requests from accessing your website. More Information Below :arrow_down:

That pretty much rounds up the top questions that are commonly asked on this Forum. If you have a question/concern that isn’t here, post it in the forum and we will be happy to help you! If you have Website Development Related questions, also post them on this forum!

I hope this helps our new users! Slightly-Older-Forum-Members please correct me if i’ve missed something.

11 Likes

Lol. I Don’t love posts just because they’re long, but which gives good information, regardless if it is long or not.

4 Likes

You have to admit you don’t like reading them tho ;-;

1 Like

Well. It depends on my mood.
Besides, i read things even if they’re long,unless it’s sarcastic or I’m not in a good motivation :disappointed:
(you looked for admit. I admitted it)

1 Like

Really thank you,I will link this for all newbies who create a topic.(Request to @Admin to Pin it globally )

Great write up. Nice.

Do you mind writing a section about how DNS propogation is not instant? Don’t feel you have to, It’s just something I feel I explain a lot (+ How to help stop cache or bypass cache and stuff) & Also, Noice.

5 Likes

Sure I will add it to the DNS Section!

2 Likes

Nice post! :+1:

Regarding the Email Management section, please include this explanation by the admin:

Remember to put alternatives like Zoho mail (for non-freenom users) and Yandex (for all users! :partying_face:)

Also, please include about using Filezilla when accessing FTP as it is a better way for downloading files as well as uploading multiple files quicker.

On the other hand, I really like this post. Pretty much summarizes nearly all questions users have. I don’t really like long posts that much, but this one actually got my attention (which doesn’t happen so often) :+1:

4 Likes

Nice write up. Excellent for beginners!!!

3 Likes

I’m a bit torn on whether to pin this.

This post provides a really good overview of the different support articles and posts available, and probably makes everything easier to navigate for people (rather than just getting the full list of articles shoved in their face).

But having a forum post to index the KB articles seems like an indication of a problem with the KB itself. If so, maybe it would be more useful to improve the source rather than write an article here.

I’m also curious as to how much this will actually help. For the different types of suspensions and the DNS propagation issue, there are very clear banners in the client area with information and KB article links tailored to the specific use case. And even though everything funnels into those banners, cards and links, people still feel urged to beeline their way to the Create Topic button. I suspect that these people are so focused on “I need to contact support”, that they are completely blind to any extremely obvious solutions which help them in a much better way.

7 Likes

Actually People never tend to have a look at the KB,instead they just create a topic and we direct them to have a look at the KB.

This may help

May be for new users in this forum a Banner(with link to KB ) can be forced for a day .

3 Likes

As said, there’s no need to forced for few days.

okay atleast for a day

But why?

They gotta learn to look in the KB before creating a new topic

:expressionless: :+1:

3 Likes

That can break many sites, Including the initial wordpress code.

I meant to be forced in Forum and not in Vpanel or in websites

No need.