Official Feature Suggestion Thread

As we know, we can’t delete subdomain/domain directory, we have no way to do it because of logs.
It’s not ok because ftp becomes a mess, and it’s not comfortable to use it.
Suggestion: add ability to hide the directory from your ftp user, if needed - we can show it back. Applicable only to domains/subdomains directories that were created by system.

@MrJunior said:
As we know, we can’t delete subdomain/domain directory, we have no way to do it because of logs.
Suggestion: add ability to hide the directory from your ftp user, if needed - we can show it back. Applicable only to domains/subdomains directories that were created by system.

True

@MrJunior said:

Being unable to delete domain directories is an issue which is getting smaller, because this issue only affects older accounts. These directories can be deleted on new accounts, because the log directory structure is different now. It would be far less complicated to just fix the permissions for existing domain directories, rather than implementing some complicated feature to work around the symptoms.

Hiding directories is an interesting feature, but I see a lot of problems with it. For example:

• How would you hide the directory? The FTP protocol has no such option, so no FTP client or file manager supports it either.
  • How would the directory be hidden on the system? Linux/Unix filesystems don’t have any metadata to hide a file or directory. Instead, hidden files on such systems are prefixed with a dot (like .htaccess). But most file managers show them anyways.
  • What happens when you try to create a new directory with the same name as the hidden directory? Would the hidden directory be deleted in the background? Would the creation fail with a message saying the directory already exists (despite not being visible)?
  • If or how would you fully delete a hidden directory?
  • If or how would you un-hide a hidden directory?
  • Would you still be able to access files in the hidden directory if you know the exact path?
  1. I would hide it from panel(cpanel, if possible) that just gives to choosen directory flags like to logs, somehow I can’t access logs directory, or any directory that isn’t connected with my sites?
  2. All I need it’s directory that I won’t see cause I don’t need it. I have plenty of subdomains/domains directories and them all is no more in usage, some of them never were used lol.
  3. The same thing as you tryin to create domain/subdomain directory that actually exists - nothing happening for me…
  4. We can’t delete it, so what’s we need its’ at least hide it.
  5. Managing from some panel, go to 1.
  6. I don’t need it at all.

The problem in deleting catalogs, I cannot do it, and don’t need the directory - hide it from or do whatever else, because I don’t need this directory.

It would be far less complicated to just fix the permissions for existing domain directories, rather than implementing some complicated feature to work around the symptoms.
Then do it, if that’s easier, would be nice.

@MrJunior said:

1. I would hide it from panel(cpanel, if possible) that just gives to choosen directory flags like to logs, somehow I can’t access logs directory, or any directory that isn’t connected with my sites?
  2. All I need it’s directory that I won’t see cause I don’t need it. I have plenty of subdomains/domains directories and them all is no more in usage, some of them never were used lol.
  3. The same thing as you tryin to create domain/subdomain directory that actually exists - nothing happening for me…
  4. We can’t delete it, so what’s we need its’ at least hide it.
  5. Managing from some panel, go to 1.
  6. I don’t need it at all.

I see I may have misread your original suggestion. I understood it as the ability to hide any file or directory, not the logs directory.

I don’t think we’re going to be hacking the FTP server and/or the file system to hide one specific directory. You can just ignore this one, single, specific directory instead. cPanel creates a ton of additional directories too, with far more questionable purpose.

@MrJunior said:
The problem in deleting catalogs, I cannot do it, and don’t need the directory - hide it from or do whatever else, because I don’t need this directory.

We provide many features which may not be used by everyone. That doesn’t mean we should go to great lengths to make it possible to show or hide any of those features.

Wish we could use CDN for Free Hosting.

I just knew that we couldn’t use CDN for our Free Hosting Account… :frowning:

@Admin directory of removed (sub)domain is not feature lol, not even close to.
You misread my suggestion couple times.

Original idea is: make able to hide removed (sub)domain directory.

New idea is: make able to hide/remove/delete/whateverelse directory of removed domain/subdomain.

I don’t even know what logs you’re talking about, I’ve found out that problem was in logs that were saved in (sub)domain directory and you needed it, to look up if there any kind of abuse.

Can we figure out again current problem that prevent me(as old user) to remove those directories? Cause we’re both a little bit confused about each other’s messages.

@mauwiks said:

Hi,
Are you sure?
Maybe you did not do it correctly?

I will try KeyCDN to verify wether it works for me or a big fat no.

Please do. It worked for a while and then our server blocks it.

I investigated this for a while now. Nobody seems to give me the right answer why I am redirected to the an Ad URL of IfastNet until they had enough of all my clarifications and questions.

They said: Free hosting cannot work with CDN because they will block any non browser requests.

Please verify @Admin

*the URL

@mauwiks said:

You can use a CDN with free hosting. Why wouldn’t that work? Just make sure that your CDN forwards cookies. If your CDN doesn’t support that, you might want to consider a different CDN.

Or you could have your website publish files to a service like Amazon S3 or another static file serving platform so the CDN doesn’t have to fetch the files from your hosting account.

@MrJunior said:
@Admin directory of removed (sub)domain is not feature lol, not even close to.
You misread my suggestion couple times.

Original idea is: make able to hide removed (sub)domain directory.

New idea is: make able to hide/remove/delete/whateverelse directory of removed domain/subdomain.

I don’t even know what logs you’re talking about, I’ve found out that problem was in logs that were saved in (sub)domain directory and you needed it, to look up if there any kind of abuse.

Can we figure out again current problem that prevent me(as old user) to remove those directories? Cause we’re both a little bit confused about each other’s messages.

You talked about log directories before and now you talk about domain directories? Those are two completely separate folders on newer accounts.

Another thing which is different on more recent accounts is that domain directories can be deleted at any time. Only for domains which were added before, the permissions prevent you from deleting the folder (which, as you said, have to do with the logs folder).

And like I said, rather than inventing some convoluted way to hide the directory, changing the permissions on those old folders is probably easier to do. But again, this problem is a cosmetic issue on old accounts, so there is very little priority for it.

@Admin
I didn’t talk about log dirs, my message, keywords is bold:

Anyway, ok. But I would like to get that(permission change to my directories, and everyone’s else too of course), so if it’s possible, and not real problem/resources-expensive - I asking you to do it.

I completely understand what you are saying, I just don’t agree that this is a problem which we should address.

@MrJunior said:
@Admin
I didn’t talk about log dirs, my message, keywords is bold:

And I said:

@Admin said:
Another thing which is different on more recent accounts is that domain directories can be deleted at any time. Only for domains which were added before, the permissions prevent you from deleting the folder (which, as you said, have to do with the logs folder).

So “we” is an increasingly small percentage of accounts, and nobody who signed up in 2018 would ever experience this issue. This issue was already “resolved” when the log directory structure was changed.

@MrJunior said:

So how are your websites broken because of this issue?

These directories don’t do anything except for being a bit messy to you. So, like I said, it’s a cosmetic issue.

And you if these directories makes you feel uncomfortable, you should stay far, far away from cPanel, which creates tons of system directories in your account.

@MrJunior said:

And I said:

@Admin said:
I don’t think we’re going to be hacking the FTP server and/or the file system

Making your suggestion work would require us to make and build our own version of Pure-FTPd. Which takes a lot of effort. That’s not going to happen for a cosmetic issue for an increasingly small fraction of our users.

@Admin said:

You can use a CDN with free hosting. Why wouldn’t that work? Just make sure that your CDN forwards cookies. If your CDN doesn’t support that, you might want to consider a different CDN.

Or you could have your website publish files to a service like Amazon S3 or another static file serving platform so the CDN doesn’t have to fetch the files from your hosting account.

Thanks Admin!

Maybe a forum rewards system? Something like YAGA for Vanilla with custom prizes?

hi ChrisPar :slight_smile:
I am very against it, because any rank it would only polarize the forum society
to popular and unpopular users…
and generate mass posting just for the higher rank
(which would lead to less quality and less clear responses)

1 Like

Over the years I’ve read several articles from psychology to IT where it is said that the rank is actually very counterproductive
at first it seems to be something very motivating (to encourage people to write)
but the final product is very bad

@ChrisPAR said:
Maybe a forum rewards system? Something like YAGA for Vanilla with custom prizes?

Forum rewards are a bit of a hit and miss. The old post2host strategy (where you would have to create, say, 20 posts per month to get free hosting) just attracted spam. Reddit is an example of where it did go well.

I guess something like forum titles or badges for number of posts or a like/dislike system with a reputation scoring would be nice.

But actually rewarding people for creating posts? That’s a guaranteed to turn a forum into a cesspool of spam and junk posts, which is not going to make this a better place for anyone.

@Admin said:

• Free SSL certificates.

So have you got any name (provider) in mind?

check the name (input field) of the custom subdomain for freecluster, epizy, etc.
and if it contains “google, go0gle, g0ogle, g00gle” do not allow the creation

It’s not so much about a naive user
but not to cross the threshold of some artificial intelligence from google,
so that A.I. don’t mark the entire domain as problematic